Questions about archiving...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
eMac OS X 10.4.11 1.25GB RAM 40GB original hard drive,
Hello,

I was wondering what the benefits are between a ZIP file as opposed to a regular file. For instance, I have a 1.9 MBs regular folder with several jpg images in it. When I archived the folder, then checked the archived folders size, it still said 1.9MBs, so how does that save me any hard drive space?

Also, does archiving images cause them to lose any quality? Does it make a difference if I archive 10 images, or 300?

Thanks,
Leonardo

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Performa 6116 2GBSCSI 8MB OS 7.5.3
Typically the word Archive implies "Offline".

Creating a zip file from a folder is a great way to send several items to someone rather than multiple attachments. Zipping is a form of file compression. Unfortunately for you, JPG files are already compressed so zipping them only provides the ability to store them as a single file. You would get the same result trying to zip MP3 files since they are already compressed to.

Archiving the images may not save you any space but that is also just a benefit to the zipping process. Try zipping another directory that does not contain multimedia files and see what you get for a size difference.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.