Hard drive installation on older imac!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Power Mac G4 Sonnet 1.0 512 Ram 10.3.6
My friend is currently going to donate her old I Mac to me. I would like to use it for music and kids games. The hard drive size is about 6 gigs i believe and I would love to install a larger hard drive. Is this possible since the Mac is basically a all in one????

Reaction score
It's very possible, however, if it's a tray loading iMac the HD has to be partitioned with at least the first partition at just less than 8 gig and the OS (X or 9) has to be on that partition.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
if you're not very hardware savvy, you may need help as it is sort of all stuffed in there, and you need to know how to put it back together, which is fairly simple.

B

Badger

The hardest part of the replacement will be opening up the case and getting to the hard disk. Try this link: http://www.djonmac.com/index.html. It has illustrated guides to replacing the internals of the tray-loaders. While you are in there you might want to replace the battery. They generally have a life of 3 or 4 years so if it hasn't died yet it will soon. Also, you don't mention how much RAM is installed but since you'll be opening the case you could bump that up at the same time.

OP
New2Macs
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Power Mac G4 Sonnet 1.0 512 Ram 10.3.6
hey guys i'd like to thank you for your responses. As always it's great to be part of the Mac community.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.