Express Day 1.. green light, but what cable?

Reaction score
Got Airport Express going a short while ago after some false starts and all seems cool on the setup, but iTunes says the music is not getting to the stereo and speakers for unknown reasons. I visited Radio Shack before I bought AE at Best Buy and showed them a cable I had, two RCA plugs to the old receiver and what I think is a one-eighth minijack on the other end, such as sold by Shack. I have had previous experiences where some minijacks are ambiguous as to whether they fit the jack or not. Anybody know what really needs to be on the Express end of my audio cable, the exact size of it so I can go hunt for one? Thanks.

(The setup dialogue seemed to invite confusion among newcomers since it expects an ethernet connection to AE regardless what you are doing. Perhaps some video online deals with that. I kept saying Ignore the problem, which seemed not to be a problem.)

The AE green light is shining and I think I need the right cable.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac 27" 2.66 GHz Intel Core 4Gb Ram|SL|Dual Band 1TB TC|AEX(n)|iPhone 4|iTouch 2G|160GB ATV|MBA
Can you clarify your network setup pls?

OP
M
Reaction score
I have the Airport Express at our stereo receiver location running fine now, but temporarily into some little powered speakers I put there. The cable from it seems to have solved the problem by showing trouble with the cable I used to the receiver. So I have ordered another cable to run to the receiver and will probably install it tomorrow and see what happens. I also bought Airfoil and am really enjoying it too -- including the playing of my streaming song lists at lala.com!

I of course set up a network for the Express with a name and password, one that does not envision connection from Airport Express to the modem, which connects us to the Internet via firewire ... ATT DSL.

But I take it, if I ever do decide to connect the iMac to the Internet wirelessly, I might could put that device on the same network, or might put it on a new network I would set up.

Reading through this forum has been very helpful to me, a novice to these matters.

OP
M
Reaction score
By the way, I have found that I would not need Airfoil if all I sought to do was play radio stations not on the iTunes lists. Simply create an iTunes play list, name it Other Stations or something, and drag the .m3u or .pls or other stream-play files on your desktop into that play list. Where it shows the real identity of the station. Very handy in fact, and of course iTunes feeds those to your remote speakers too. But I also wanted to play YouTube music and my lala.com play lists and such on the remotes, so I am really enjoying AirFoil for those purposes.

One priority was to play a high-quality stream of one station I prefer, WUMB.org, which is found on the default iTunes lists but the link
is to a lower quality stream. So now with my own new and growing radio playlist on iTunes, I have the preferred link and do not have to visit the station website to find it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac 27" 2.66 GHz Intel Core 4Gb Ram|SL|Dual Band 1TB TC|AEX(n)|iPhone 4|iTouch 2G|160GB ATV|MBA
Good to see you have it all sorted.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.