is the standard configuration going to be fast enough?

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I registered to the forum yesterday as i am pretty settled on buying a Macbook.

I am from the UK and i am pretty settled on the new White Macbook,

One quick question,

It comes as a 2.23Ghz, 2GB DDR3 and a 250GB hard drive.

After been sick to death of Windows slowness, lagging and i want to invest in this for chat, internet surfing, viewing photos, managing my ipod and a bit of word processing. My question is, is the standard configuration going to be fast enough? As i am extremely sick of the lag of windows.

Any help/info is much appreciated.

Matt

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Yes, the standard configuration will be fast enough. You can always add more memory to the machine later on and even swap out the hard drive for a larger faster model. However, don't purchase those upgrades from Apple as they charge a premium price. Both the memory and hard drive are user doable.

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
You shouldn't have any problem with that configuration for what you want to do.

The great thing about Macs are that they are designed so efficiently that you don't need the same processor speed and amount of RAM that you would in a Windows machine. You could always upgrade the RAM yourself later. It's much cheaper than ordering through Apple. Same thing with the HDD.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
Ohhhh! You're too fast. I took too long proof-reading my post. :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 Cube 450MHz, MacBook Air 11" 2013, iMac 21.5" i3, iPad 1,1 32GB
As a simple comparison, I do all those things on my 1st gen MacBook from 2006. Believe me when I tell you that computer will scream through all those tasks. Plus as the previous posters have mentioned, the upgrades are there to make it even more powerful!

David

Reaction score
This is going to be unpopular, but if your Windows machine isn't too old and the hardware is decent, have you considered just wiping it and doing a fresh Windows install from scratch?

You'd be amazed at how much faster it runs after doing that. You could even buy a copy of Windows 7 and throw that on (from scratch, after formatting the drive) and probably get a good bump in speed.

But hey, it wouldn't be as nice as getting a fresh new Macbook :)

Just a thought, if money is an issue.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2009 iMac10,1 High Sierra 10.13.6, Intel Core 2 Duo, 3.06 GHz, 12GB RAM, 500GB Storage
When I bought my new iMac I found that it was 5 or 6 times faster than my Windows XP. But when I took my old PC and removed all the programs that I would no longer use... no internet on the PC... I found my old system to be pretty quick. The program that slowed it down was Norton Anti Virus. There may be other Anti-Virus programs that don't slow Windows down as much as Norton but I had Norton for years and just stuck with it. With a Mac you don't have virus problems because not too many a**holes are out there trying to create a virus for Mac and Apple is always on top of any that are created and will upgrade you Mac to protect against the virus. I switched to Mac, I am happy now, but I did go through a stressful time of learning a new and "exciting" system.

Reaction score
I personally never had a problem with Windows and I don't even use anti virus regularly on my PC anymore, but that being said, I'm also in the market for a Macbook Pro. It might be unpopular, but I agree with Mostro. If you really need a faster computer and are a bit strapped for cash, you'll probably be able to hold off with Windows 7 until you can get a better Mac. Then again, I build all my desktops and haven't had a single problem running them because I don't skimp on anything. Just remember that you get what you pay for. Personally, I'm getting a Mac because I need it for a few applications and I need a laptop, so why not kill two birds with one stone?

Reaction score
Honestly though, for your intended usage, the standard configuration will be fine, if not overkill. If you want sheer snappiness in your system later on, there is no upgrade as good as a solid state drive.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.