Snow Leopard Multiple User accounts

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Aluminium MacBook Pro 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 2GB RAM, OS X 10.6.2
Does anyone know if it is possible on Snow Leopard to set-up multiple user standard accounts without requiring a password?

Thanks,

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2012 MBP i7 2.7 GHz 15" Matte - 16 GB RAM - 120 GB Intel SSD - 500 GB DataDoubler Mac OS 10.9
Do you mean, make a standard user account that doesn't need a password to login?
Or do you mean, make a new user account without the admin password.

#1 You can make a user account that does not need a password to use. Just leave the password field empty when you create the account. A warning will come, and ask if you really want to leave the password field blank, just click okay.
m.png

#2 It is not possible to make a new user account without knowing the admin password. Unless the Accounts Preference Pane is already unlocked.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Aluminium MacBook Pro 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 2GB RAM, OS X 10.6.2
I did not consider leaving the password blank. Would solve my problem but creates a security issue that if the laptop gets stolen people can get to the information.

I have an admin account and two standard user accounts. I would like the two users to be able to switch to the other standard account without requiring a password.

For example:

A standard user logs-in with his/her password and is granted permission to all standard accounts without requiring additional passwords. I could make both users have the same password but what I am trying to eliminate is the step of having to enter a password each time a user switches accounts.

Thank you.
Merry Christmas McYukon!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2012 MBP i7 2.7 GHz 15" Matte - 16 GB RAM - 120 GB Intel SSD - 500 GB DataDoubler Mac OS 10.9
For example:

A standard user logs-in with his/her password and is granted permission to all standard accounts without requiring additional passwords. I could make both users have the same password but what I am trying to eliminate is the step of having to enter a password each time a user switches accounts.
No, I don't think that is possible at all as separate users are meant to be… separate, meaning no user has unrestricted access to the others users stuff without a password.

Merry Christmas!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.