DVD-R's Freezing During Playback

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac
Can somebody give me some advice? DVD-R's I am burning seem to be freezing. The discs are free of scratches. The freezing occurs at different chapter points. Could it be the labels I am using? I don't think its the hardware, I use SONY DVD-R's.

I have been using Avery CD/DVD Labels.

I shoot wedding video and use Final Cut Express to edit. I then Use iDVD to author the DVD and burn the Disc Image. I then use Toast 10.0 to burn the DVD. I use a brand new Lacie external DVD burner.

Any help or advice would be appreciated. I can't have brides angry with me :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
Ooo, angry brides, bad!

I would say it's unlikely to be the labels (have you tried one without?), but it could be the discs.
Have you tried playback from the files on your computer, rather than disc, just to check that it's not an encoding problem first?
I would then try a different brand of media as a test too.

Report back with some more info and we'll go from there.

OP
F
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac
I started using Staples DVDs and had the problem, so I upgraded to the Sony brand and still have the problem. I will check the playback on the computer tonight and let you know what I see.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You might also try switching to DVD+R media. I haven't had much luck using -R media regardless of brand.

Regards.

OP
F
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac
UPDATE- Ok its seems like the problem was the labels. The bride (who is also a good friend of mine thankfully) removed the label from the disc and the DVD then played perfectly. The bad labels I was using were Avery 8691 - CD/DVD Labels. They are paper and can cause skipping or freezing due to overheating. I have now switched to Avery 8962 Labels which are designed to work on DVD's and are made of a film that will withstand the heat problems. I tested this label on the same DVD that had problems and it played perfectly. It also look better than the 8691s. The only problem is the cost. The cost over $1 per label, but its worth the money to guarantee playback.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
Glad you got it sussed out.
$1 is better than an angry bride. :D

OP
F
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac
Has anybody had any luck with Inkjet Printable DVD-Rs? I am ssuming they are better than putting a label on a DVD. Epson even offers a photo printer that will print directly to the disc for as low as 179 on B&H Photo.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I had a lightscribe burner, which worked ok, but you need specific discs for that.
I can't imagine that printing on them would hurt at all. Could be an expensive experiment though.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.