Unable to open software downloads

Reaction score
Hi,

Firstly let me apologise if this has already been covered in this forum.

I have just purchased a Mac OS X for the first time and I'm trying to install Qlab from what I believe is a legitimate site. However, whenever I try to open it it just appears in the toolbar for about a second and then disappears again.
This is also happening when I try to open any downloads from the Apple site.

Has anyone encountered this problem before?

I would greatly appreciate any advice.

Many Thanks
Kev

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
have you had success installing any applications since acquiring your new Mac?

OP
K
Reaction score
Unfortunately not. I am only able to open applications that were pre installed. I have rebooted the Mac using the 3 boot disks that came with it but I am still having the same problem

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
alright... are you the admin user, or just a user... logged in user account, or admin account?
What version of OS X is it (go to apple in menu>about this mac and it will tell you)? ...and do you have the original install discs for that Mac (if they are the grey discs, then they are the discs I am referring to!)?
Without me asking you many more questions, if you are not admin, the easy way around all this may be changing admin account password or re-installing OS X from the discs, which in turn will give you the permissions you need.
Post back with the answers, and if the need be, and you just have a user account (but not admin), if you have the install discs, I will give you the instructions on how to get going, if someone reading this thread doesn't get in there first :)

OP
K
Reaction score
OK, thank you...I will take a look and let you know the version. In answer to your other question yes they are the original grey boot disks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Adding all this as its getting late here, and I may not be online much longer.....

If you are not the admin user, insert disc 1 of 2, and restart holding C key when you hear the chime, and hold until it boots, choose language, click continue, go to menu bar at the top of screen, and go to utilities, reset password.... and you are done.
Quit disk utilities, and then choose quit from the installer.
It will ask you if you want to restart from startup disk... choose yes.
From then on, you should be set to go.

Post back with results.

After all this, if everything is up and running as it should, if you are new to Macs, I would recommend the mac tutorials "learn your way around a mac in minutes" at this link Apple - Mac

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.