Ripped off, now what to do. 3 years old Macbook

Reaction score
:'(

Hello all

I was very excited to make an exchange for my very first macbook. The deal looked very good for me cuz the owner told me his Macbook was only a few months old. I gave him a brand new Iphone 3gs 32g in exchange plus some cash.

The computer looked new. It was really well treated but the trackpad gave away his age. I checked in the internet for the warranty and Bang! Expired aaand I found out my New mac was 3 years old. :( The guy never answered his phone anymore.

Now my question: Should I just replace the trackpad and keep it? It seems to be working fine but its 3 years old! What you guys think?
Should I just sell it again for the money I can and get rid of it?

Thank you

A

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
If it's not broken, why fix it?

Reaction score
I misread the original post, but if it's not broken then why "fix it". What are the stats on the macbook. and what are you going 2 be using it for? And then we can tell u 2 keep it or get rid of it

OP
T
Reaction score
I know that something is not borken doesnt need to be fixed, my question is, if its worth it to keep it. Maybe 3 years is really a lot and soon the computer will start giving me problems :(

Model: - MacBook (13-inch Late 2006)
Processor speed: - 2.0 GHz
Installed RAM: - 1 GB (2x512)
Hard Drive: - 80 GB, 5400rpm
Processor Type: - Intel, Core 2 Duo (Merom)
Max. Amount: - 3.0 GB Drive Bus: - Serial-ATA Number of Cores: - 2
Amount of Slots: - 2
Optical Drive: - This unit has an 6x SuperDrive built in. Bus Speed: - 667 Mhz
RAM Speed: - 667 MHz
Optical Bus: - Ultra-ATA/100
Cache: - 4 MB L2 cache

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.53, 4gigs RAM, 250hd
the OP wants the newer multi-touch track pad.

I say, sell it and go buy a new one some where. Lesson learned. this kind of stuff happens, don't get hung up on it. Move on, and don't be so trusting next time.

I'm sorry this happens to good people like you.

Reaction score
What are you going 2 use it for? because I had the very first white macbook that didn't even have a dvd burner on it, had 2 get an external one, but I upgraded the ram to 2 gigs and it ran fine and did everything I needed it 2. So as long as the one you have will do what you need it 2, why waste the money?

OP
T
Reaction score
I will only use to download stuff and regular chat, emails surfing the net things... no big deal.. Just not sure if its worth it cuz a regular leptop, not a Mac that is 3 years old would start giving me trouble... so I dont know. If I dont sell it now, In another year it will be worth nothing

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
On a 3 yr old MacBook isn't going to change value wise a great deal in a year. Sorry to hear of the rip off though. There are power users in this here forum that have older machines than 3yrs and don't have problems with them. If and when you really get down to it and it does start to play up ...... Go get another but if it still working fine and no lack of peformance ....
I would be keeping it :) IMO

Reaction score
If that's all you are doing then keep it. Cause I still have my powerbook g4 that i use on a regular basis and I can't even tell you how old that thing is and it still runs like a champ. So save your money because u still have a few years left in that thing. People who tell you to go buy a new one now are the people whom has to have all of the new technology, but if you are like myself and don't have 2 spend the cash then don't. It wasn't as new as what you expected but have fun and enjoy your macbook. It will be around for a while.

Reaction score
I have a similar machine and I still use it *very* intensively for work.
It works so well that I'm waiting to upgrade till I see a more decisive speed jump in newer models.

Just put more ram in it (it can manage 3gb on a dual 2gb memory bank)

:)

val

OP
T
Reaction score
Hi guys, thank you for the quick responses and advices. Love this forum

Ok, so the guy finally answered his phone today. He explained that because he installed a pirate version of the OS the serial number changed for an older one. He tells me as well that the computer has ICare. Not sure what to think now. Is there any way to check really how old is this computer? It has multi touch trackpad thingy. When was the first model with this, anyone knows? :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
| '09 24" iMac 3.06 8GB | '09 iPhone 3GS 32GB | '09 ATV 1.16TB | '07 23" ACD | '06 15" MBP |
Keep it and do the following if you want to make it snappier for little cash:

Bump RAM up to 4gb for $99 - factory says max 2gb but you can run 4gb according to OWC tests.

Change HD out for a 250GB 7200 HD from Seagate for $69.00

Trackpad if it is worn, should be cheap on ebay and relatively easy to replace...got a macbook air trackpad and keyboard on ebay for $30 once.

So, for an extra $210 you can have a GREAT machine and not feel ripped off anymore!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook

Ok, so the guy finally answered his phone today. He explained that because he installed a pirate version of the OS the serial number changed for an older one. He tells me as well that the computer has ICare. Not sure what to think now.

This guy is full of crap.

An OS install will never change a serial number.
You can find the machine's serial number by checking out this Apple article: Apple Portables: How to find the serial number on your MacBook

The only way the software one would be different is if he put an older case on the machine.

Also, I have no idea what "iCare" is.

Bottom line, if the computer works fine then don't bother contacting him again.
I'm not sure how much cash you gave him in addition to the iPhone, but hopefully he didn't rip you off.

Reaction score

Ok, so the guy finally answered his phone today. He explained that because he installed a pirate version of the OS the serial number changed for an older one. He tells me as well that the computer has ICare. Not sure what to think now. Is there any way to check really how old is this computer? It has multi touch trackpad thingy. When was the first model with this, anyone knows? :)

3 things:
1) Isn't the serial number printed on a label under the battery? I wasn't aware an electronic serial number could be re-written, but it's electronic, so who knows. But I doubt it.

2) It sounds like a nice enough machine. I usually keep machines until something irreplaceable breaks. While your system may truly be 3 years old, it is more than adequate for your purposes.

3) Here's the thing: If he has lied about the age - and this is a BIG if - it is probably a stolen machine. You have to confirm the serial number.
But he has already admitted to being a thief by installing a "Pirated OS" (never heard of that - but, okay) so I'd say you bought a hot system.
While that may be bad, what you do at this point is up to your integrity level. But, keep this in mind: if you decide to keep the machine, it could get worse. If it is in "The System" and take it in for repairs, they will do a SN check, and big problems may ensue. In the US, they may confiscate the machine, turn it over to the Police and give it back to the owner. And you are well and truly buggered. No machine and no phone.

Just based on that, I'd try to get my cell phone back.

OP
T
Reaction score
OK! love the idea! gotcha!
Now... the battery life.. it takes 2 hours to die. How long was suppose to take to die? Can the battery be replaced as well? is it worth it?

Reaction score
OK! love the idea! gotcha!
Now... the battery life.. it takes 2 hours to die. How long was suppose to take to die? Can the battery be replaced as well? is it worth it?

I guess we can figure which way you are leaning.

2 hours on battery: Not bad for a 3 year old machine.

Get smcFanControl to check that the fans are still running and get coconutBattery battery checker to see what it thinks of your battery. Both are free and self explanatory.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 Inch Apple MacBook Pro; 2.40 GHZ, 4GB Ram, 250GB HDD
Macs from much much longer than that have been (and still are) working great like they have just been bought new yesterday.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.