Any TV repair men out there?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac 3.06GHz 8GB of RAM 2TB HDD, 13" Aluminum MacBook 2.0GHz 4GB of RAM 500GB HDD
I have an Insignia NS-PDP32-09 32" Plasma TV. I have had it about a year, maybe a little less. Last night when I turned it on it made an electrical popping sound. The screen went black but the audio still works and I can change the channel. I am pretty sure one of the boards fried but have no idea which one. I am just wondering if anyone has any experience fixing these or any ideas to try to get it back on. I will probably take it back to Best Buy tomorrow or the next day to see if it is still under warranty but I don't have much faith in the Geek Squad to fix it. I also can't find any mention of my model number on Insignia's website.

Mods if this would fit better somewhere else please move it, I didn't know if it would go better here or the other hardware thread.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Went ahead and moved - we try to keep that forum somewhat tech free to have one place for a break from it all.

OP
WakeCarver
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac 3.06GHz 8GB of RAM 2TB HDD, 13" Aluminum MacBook 2.0GHz 4GB of RAM 500GB HDD
Went ahead and moved - we try to keep that forum somewhat tech free to have one place for a break from it all.

Cool, thanks.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Unless you bought the Best Buy extended warranty|replacement plan, the repair cost may be on you. Their Insignia brand like other brands is usually covered by a shorter warranty period. Make sure you get an estimate first before allowing them to repair it.

Regards.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I was a TV repair tech as a kid but that was a bit ago. This is a wild guess but it sounds like something in the Horizontal-High Voltage area blew. Since you have Audio and channels the low voltage supply is probably ok. Again just a guess.

How old is the set? Read chscag's post also. I see that brand all the time at Best Buy.

OP
WakeCarver
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unless you bought the Best Buy extended warranty|replacement plan, the repair cost may be on you. Their Insignia brand like other brands is usually covered by a shorter warranty period. Make sure you get an estimate first before allowing them to repair it.

Regards.

Yeah I considered that, everything I read online indicated it had a 1 year warranty but I don't have a receipt so we'll see how that goes. I'm going to call with model and serial number before I lug it all the way up their and make sure it is covered.

I was a TV repair tech as a kid but that was a bit ago. This is a wild guess but it sounds like something in the Horizontal-High Voltage area blew. Since you have Audio and channels the low voltage supply is probably ok. Again just a guess.

How old is the set? Read chscag's post also. I see that brand all the time at Best Buy.

I'm pretty sure it's less than a year old but like I said above I don't have the receipt. I pretty confident I can fix it myself with the right part if need be. I'm just not sure what part to get. I think this may be it though (INSIGNIA EAX41409701/7 Power Supply Board - Main -NS-PDP32-09). Thanks for the quick responses.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Well, if you've got sound and can change channels, I'd be willing to bet it's not the main power supply board.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
cwa107 said:
Well, if you've got sound and can change channels, I'd be willing to bet it's not the main power supply board.

That is what I was saying above. Sounds like the high voltage supply which is part of the horizontal output section. My 27" Phillips blew both within a minute of each other. BANG and no picture but sound and changing channels then the main power supply went and then there was nothing! :D

I was even more angry when I found 100's of the same set on the net all with the exact same failure! My next set was a Sony WEGA. Still going strong after 4.5 years.

OP
WakeCarver
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for the info, if Best Buy tells me its out of warranty then I'll pull it apart and take picture of the damaged board. Hopefully I can get it fixed pretty cheap because I was planning on buying a new TV for my living room, not my bedroom, this month. Oh well, thanks again.

OP
WakeCarver
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Whew! 8 days left on my warranty for the TV. Best Buy is sending a replacement, it will be here in about a week!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Looks like you lucked out and avoided a costly repair or replacement. You might want to consider purchasing the Best Buy extended warranty before that good luck runs out. :)

Regards.

OP
WakeCarver
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, Best Buy contacted me on Tuesday and informed me that they did not have an equivalent replacement and the TV could not be repaired. They told me to take it to a local Best Buy for a solution. On Wednesday I took it to my local Best Buy and they let me do an even swap for a 40" Toshiba 40RV525R 1080p LCD TV. I thought this was a great deal since my wife and I were planning on buying a new TV for the living room so I put it in there. I put the 37" TV that was in my living room in my computer room. I bought a open box 720p 32" Samsung 360 series LCD for $300.00 to go in the bedroom to put in the place of the one I traded in. I think things turned out pretty well. I purchased 4 year extended warranties on both TV's so hopefully I won't buying another one anytime soon.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.