• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

how can i record my screen?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
So what i want to do is record me using my mac. For example if i want to show my friends how to use a certain program i want to make a video showing whats on my screen. Hope that made sense but to keep it simple is there a built in program or a free program i could use to record from my mac internally so i can record my screen?

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Nothing native will do video capture; Grab will do image.
Not quite. If you're using Snow Leopard, Quicktime X can record your screen to a video. Open up Quicktime > File > New Screen Recording. Click the little white arrow for options such as sound input, quality and save location. Hit the record button and you're on your way. Click the "Stop Recording" button in your menubar or push Command-Control-Esc to stop recording.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
And Screen Flick will do it as well but in Snow leopard one has to open Quick Time 7 first then it will record screen action. But it is not free but shareware and i have used it in Snow Leopard so it is functional. Works well in Tiger and Leopard.
http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/26035/screenflick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.1GHz Core 2 Duo | 1GB RAM | OS X 10.6.3 | 250GB External HD | 8GB iPod Touch 1st Gen 3.1.3
If you want an application besides QuickTime X, Jing is great. If you're up for it, you can spend the money and get ScreenFlow. Amazing application, I use it all the time to make tutorials for my grandparents.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
There is also iShowU which is available for 10.6.x, which is what I've used in the past and it has worked fairly well.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2GHz Mac Mini 2GB RAM 160GB 10.6.2 | MDD DP 1.25GHz G4 1.5GB RAM 10.4.11 | 233MHz iMac G3 10.3.9
Not quite. If you're using Snow Leopard, Quicktime X can record your screen to a video. Open up Quicktime > File > New Screen Recording. Click the little white arrow for options such as sound input, quality and save location. Hit the record button and you're on your way. Click the "Stop Recording" button in your menubar or push Command-Control-Esc to stop recording.

Wow! I've opened Quicktime X but only to play legacy files. It's nice to know it's built-in!

+1 for OSX!

OP
R
Reaction score
cool im sticking with quicktime for now cuz i cant lie im cheap to pay for anything if quicktime can do it for free haha. but i've checked out the programs at their sites so if i stop being cheap i'll just go back to this page to find me a program. Thanks a lot guys wooo funny built in videos here i come

Reaction score
this may be a stupid answer but cant u just click on print screen then paste into notepad or whatever?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2GHz Mac Mini 2GB RAM 160GB 10.6.2 | MDD DP 1.25GHz G4 1.5GB RAM 10.4.11 | 233MHz iMac G3 10.3.9
So what i want to do is record me using my mac. For example if i want to show my friends how to use a certain program i want to make a video showing whats on my screen. Hope that made sense but to keep it simple is there a built in program or a free program i could use to record from my mac internally so i can record my screen?

this may be a stupid answer but cant u just click on print screen then paste into notepad or whatever?

He wants to get fancy with MOVING pictures. :p

Besides, the print screen -> Notepad is more an Windows thing.
Macs use Grab.

Reaction score
That's cool that QT X can do it! Although you don't get any fancyness when you click on buttons etc I just noticed. I was looking for software to do this today and downloaded the trial of Screenium from the Apple site. It works really well EXCEPT I've noticed the video colours are slightly washed out compared to my actual screen - which is slightly annoying. Although I guess viewers at home would never know that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.1GHz Core 2 Duo | 1GB RAM | OS X 10.6.3 | 250GB External HD | 8GB iPod Touch 1st Gen 3.1.3
Sorry, I got a little off topic there.

Here is more on-topic:

QuickTime is great for screen recording. I have used it several times, and liked it. But I like ScreenFlow a little better because after recording, it opens up a separate editing window where you can add video, mouse, and screen actions, adjust volume levels (I think there is also a ducking feature too), and have your keystrokes appear on screen.

The one thing I do like about QuickTime though (and is fairly obvious) is that the files are saved as .mov. I always have to export my ScreenFlow file to .mov, and that usually takes a while with my small clock rate.

C

chas_m

QTX is perfectly fine for recording the entire screen, and you can edit in iMovie.

ScreenFlow is so far my favourite for "more advanced" screen capturing (read: costs $$). I like Snapz Pro X (the venerable) but I have to admit its fallen behind the times.

Screenium is one I haven't checked out yet, but I've liked videocasts I've seen using it, so add that to the "probably very good" pile. IShowUHD was nice too, but ScreenFlow beats it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
This really is a zombie from the morgue being over eight years old!

Reaction score
Wow, this thread has been around for a long time. Now that I've seen it, I am willing to share my ideas, lol :O
Actually, there are many screen recorders on the app markers, but I'd like to use the free ones.
Just give a try on QuickTime Player and Monosnap.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.