Should I do a clean install of Snow Leopard?

Reaction score
Hi, I am new to OSX, having used it for the first time in march.

I have a 160 GB hard drive that had my original leopard install which I upgraded to snow leopard a month ago. I had various problems after the upgrade, most of which I fixed.

I have a new 640 GB hard drive and I am playing with a clean install of Snow Leopard.

My guess is that a cleanly installed OS is always going to be more reliable than one that has been upgraded to a newer version.

Should I move the old OS to the new hard drive (using time machine) or am I better off with a clean install of Snow Leopard?

If I go with a clean install of Snow Leopard should I use the migration assistant or should I manually copy over files and settings?

Reaction score
Hi, I am new to OSX, having used it for the first time in march.

I have a 160 GB hard drive that had my original leopard install which I upgraded to snow leopard a month ago. I had various problems after the upgrade, most of which I fixed.

I have a new 640 GB hard drive and I am playing with a clean install of Snow Leopard.

My guess is that a cleanly installed OS is always going to be more reliable than one that has been upgraded to a newer version.

Should I move the old OS to the new hard drive (using time machine) or am I better off with a clean install of Snow Leopard?

If I go with a clean install of Snow Leopard should I use the migration assistant or should I manually copy over files and settings?
Assuming you have the iLife CD - do the clean install and use the migration wizard.
Personally, I'd use "SuperDuper" to make a full backup of the Leopard disk before I got started - just in case.

OP
C
Reaction score
I have an application disc which has iphoto, idvd ... on it which I assume has the iLife programs that shipped with my Macbook.

I put the old HD in an external usb enclosure and can boot from that if necessary, I am also keeping the small 200 GB USB drive I was using for time machine. So I am well covered as far as backups.

I am going to give the migration assistant a try.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.