Frustration with bz2 extension

A

Audible Ruckus

Argh. I downloaded openoffice from 3 different mirrors. They're all compressed in a bz2 format. So I download Stuffit. I double click on the file, it says the archive is corrupt. I drag it to the Stuffit expander icon, it says it's corrupt. I download a second openoffice from a diff mirror. Same thing. I look up another app, OpenUp. Now both OpenUp and Stuffit claim to be able to open bz2 files. Is this some kind of inside joke? OpenUp came across the same corruption. Is there another app that can open up bz2? By the way I'm using os 10.2.8. Is it possible that the geniuses over at OpenOffice loaded up corrupt files onto their website? I don't think so. Or are the brain surgeons writing OpenUp and Stuffit inept? Maybe. Has anyone come across this problem? HHHHHHEEEELLLLLPPPP!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" 1Ghz PB 768Mb 10.4.5 30Gb Video iPod 40Gb 3G iPod 1Gb iPod Shuffle
dunno if its that same as linux but im reckon you can uncompress it from the terminal

cd into the directory
tar -xvjf filename then its done

OP
A

Audible Ruckus

inflexion said:
dunno if its that same as linux but im reckon you can uncompress it from the terminal

cd into the directory
tar -xvjf filename then its done

I am the UBER Mac NOOB!! I understand navigation in Windows eg. cd C\Windows..etc. With os x I'm seeing these roots and these esoteric directories and I just want to scream. I have the file on my desktop. What is the directory for that? I've tried looking up some stuff on this. It says /usr/bin/blahblahblah. It's all greek to me. I'm thinking where is C darnit?! So anyway, yeah what is the syntax for the desktop? And by the way, what is the command to display all the various commands in the terminal?

OP
A

Audible Ruckus

K, I did what you said using that Linux command. However when i ran it, it said something like no file or directory named nrst0 exists in /dev. Anybody know what nrst0 is?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.