Any advice for a Prospective Switcher??

Reaction score
Hi All,
I am Madananteshwara Vinayak Bhat, a STUDENT/Self Employed Designer-at-Large. I am from Bangalore, India. I am currently using a PC with Microsoft Windows Vista Business 32Bit, Microsoft Office 2007 Ultimate 32Bit, Corel DRAW X3, Picasa, and a few other essential software to do my day-to-day work. I am planning to take the plunge, and switch to Apple Macintosh computers (i.e. MacBook Pro 15.4 Inch, 2.66GHz, June 2009 version), and have read quite a few blogs, sites, and forums; AND have watched a whole lot of YouTube videos to help me on my way, but they all still HAVEN'T solved a few IMPORTANT queries of mine, and I have listed them below. They are:-
  1. What AFFORDABLE (</=$200) software would be the Best alternative to Corel DRAW X3 on a mac?
  2. What IS the BEST CAD software would you suggest as an Alternative to AutoCAD? (my budget is same as mentioned above)
  3. Will my HP Photosmart C4288 Printer, my BlackBerry Bold 900 Smartphone, AND my Nokia E72 Smartphone work with Mac?
  4. Will I be able to use/join a pre-existing Windoows Wi-Fi network with my Mac?
  5. Will I be able to share Printers and Files over a Windows network? And If so, then HOW?
  6. Will my new Mac be able to read data DVDs written on Windows? If not, then HOW can I get around the obstacle?
Any and ALL help would be MOST appreciated, valued, and welcome.:)
Thanking You,
Yours,
KMB
P.S. Which is better, iWork 09 or Office 2008 for Mac?

Reaction score
4. Yes, no problem.
5. Yes, no problem. There is a very good post available on the how-to and I will find that for you shortly and amend my post. I need to search a bit for it.
6. I'm pretty sure the answer is yes also.

BTW, very nice first post and welcome to the world of Mac!

This link has the info I was thinking of

http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/sw...-time-user-questions-migrating-windows-2.html

It was very helpful for me in getting a Win/Mac networking to function.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
1. Have you checked in GIMP & Inkscape? Both are free graphical programs. GIMP is like Photoshop while Inkscape is a vector graphics program.
2. No idea about CAD software..sorry..
3. Yes
4. Yes
5. I'm sure..run a couple of of searches
6. Yes, as long as it's regular data or a movie DVD or something. if it contains Windows SW, you obviously won't be able to execute it natively on the Mac.

Regards

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Hi All,
I am Madananteshwara Vinayak Bhat, a STUDENT/Self Employed Designer-at-Large. I am from Bangalore, India. I am currently using a PC with Microsoft Windows Vista Business 32Bit, Microsoft Office 2007 Ultimate 32Bit, Corel DRAW X3, Picasa, and a few other essential software to do my day-to-day work. I am planning to take the plunge, and switch to Apple Macintosh computers (i.e. MacBook Pro 15.4 Inch, 2.66GHz, June 2009 version), and have read quite a few blogs, sites, and forums; AND have watched a whole lot of YouTube videos to help me on my way, but they all still HAVEN'T solved a few IMPORTANT queries of mine, and I have listed them below. They are:-

1. Don't go by the opinions of others. Do it because you want something different. If you're perfectly content with Windows, don't buy a Mac simply because you have some zealous friends who tell you it will create world peace or feed the hungry. It's just a computer, but it runs a different OS. Now, it's a great OS, but it will require quite a bit of adjustment.

[*]What AFFORDABLE (</=$200) software would be the Best alternative to Corel DRAW X3 on a mac?

[*]What IS the BEST CAD software would you suggest as an Alternative to AutoCAD? (my budget is same as mentioned above)

In my opinion, rather than trying to replace this software entirely, I would just use something like VMWare Fusion to run Windows simultaneously with your Mac OS X install. You can make it so seamless, the app even runs right off your OS X dock and the Windows desktop is completely hidden.

[*]Will my HP Photosmart C4288 Printer, my BlackBerry Bold 900 Smartphone, AND my Nokia E72 Smartphone work with Mac?

Not sure on the Nokia (is that a Symbian phone?), but the Blackberry and HP printer should be fine.

[*]Will I be able to use/join a pre-existing Windoows Wi-Fi network with my Mac?

Yes.

[*]Will I be able to share Printers and Files over a Windows network? And If so, then HOW?

Yes. Mac OS X has SAMBA built-in. So, it will communicate using the SMB protocol just like any other Windows box.

[*]Will my new Mac be able to read data DVDs written on Windows? If not, then HOW can I get around the obstacle?

Yes.

Tough call, it really depends on your needs. Fortunately, there's free trials of both so you can see which one you like better.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Model Identifier: iMac9,1 Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo Processor Speed: 2.66 GHz

This is the only question for which I have some experience. If you have been accustomed to Office on the PC, stick with it. You would be continually frustrated by having to learn something new for quite trivial tasks. On the other hand, the only software that crashes on my iMac is Office :) - so be prepared for that.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.