New Powerbook Running Slow.........

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.67 Ghz 17" PB w/1 GB Ram; 400 MHz PM G4, 366Mhz iBook Firewire, Nano 4GB Black
When I first got my Powerbook, it was blazing fast. It would run the iTunes visualizer on large at 30fps, it could have 25 programs on and not slow down, it would scroll pages quickly, open files quickly, etc.

However, recently it has been incredibly slooooooooow. I can't figure out whats causing it. It feels like a Windows computer that has been beaten down by a couple years of spyware and other crap. iTunes visualizer on large struggles to get 5fps.

Can anybody give me advice as to what I can do to get her up to speed again?

M

meltbanana314

When have you last repaired permissions and run the daily/weekly/monthly maintainance scripts?

OP
rs2sensen
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.67 Ghz 17" PB w/1 GB Ram; 400 MHz PM G4, 366Mhz iBook Firewire, Nano 4GB Black
yesterday night

OP
rs2sensen
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Problem fixed! I just had to reset the PRAM and it works perfectly fine now. lol, I really have no idea what happens when I reset the PRAM (can someone please explain what it actually did...?) But it works now!

M

meatychi

meltbanana314 said:
When have you last repaired permissions and run the daily/weekly/monthly maintainance scripts?

What are the maintenance scripts and how do I run them?

I

IChing

System optimizer X (shareware), plus your disk repair utility can run this repair.

OP
rs2sensen
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yasu or MacJanitor work too. Mac Janitor lets you run daily, monthly, and yearly scripts. Yasu gives you control over exactly what you want to do.

Maintenance on a mac is scheduled to run at like 3amish. So if your computer is on, and not asleep at those times, you ahve no real need to do much maintenance. However, if you're like me, and your computer is either off or asleep, you should download one of the programs to do the maintenance.

M

meatychi

Are there any rules of thumb? Where you should backup your mac before repairing your HD permissions. Can repairing your permissions do any damage?

Silly question but MS has been known to do such things!

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Repairing permissions will not hurt your system. In most cases it will help your system.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.