iPod 320GB?

Reaction score
Hey, I'm looking to buy an MP3 player that i can use with my iTunes library which is:

1. perfectly tagged w/ album artwork and everything
2. wouldn't all fit on a 160gb iPod

I have a lot of apple lossless music. (I don't want to convert down to 320kbps if I can avoid it. I use very high quality headphones and speakers and I often plug into large speaker systems - in these situations I do notice the difference between lossless and compressed files.)

how soon do you think it will be before Apple releases a 320GB iPod? (actually at the rate my library grows, 500gb would be ideal but thats asking for a bit much i think...)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
My guess? No time soon, unfortunately.

Look at the graphic in my sig...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.1GHz Core 2 Duo | 1GB RAM | OS X 10.6.3 | 250GB External HD | 8GB iPod Touch 1st Gen 3.1.3
Why do you need your entire music library on your iPod?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
Blimey. I could fill a 160 twice over, but I get by nicely with my 60 GB ipod.
I don't put lossless on it for the simple reason that there is no point unless you intend to spend a lot on headphones, and even then the iPod isn't the best for sound quality anyway.
320 MP3 is fine for me (in fact 192 is perfect for the iPod), Lossless is overkill IMO.

I don't think Apple will ever go above 160 gig, and given that they had issues with the 160 classic, I'd be surprised if they even go that big again.

OP
S
Reaction score
My guess? No time soon, unfortunately.

Look at the graphic in my sig...

if that is your music library, you are the next best thing to a god in my book.

someday I want to have a music library of 100,000+ songs - all tagged w/ album artwork. i figured that will take a good portion of my lifetime. i'm only 18 so i have lots of time!

do you use an iPod? or what do you use?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
You have a lot :)

You think that's a lot, check this out. My TV Show collection on my computer is 777GB alone (note I said on my computer, I have tons more backed up on DVDs). My music collection is 35GB. My movies take up about 2310GB (again, with more backed up). So a grand total of 3.1TB. How's that for an eye popper? ;P

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.1GHz Core 2 Duo | 1GB RAM | OS X 10.6.3 | 250GB External HD | 8GB iPod Touch 1st Gen 3.1.3
Kash, I would say you probably have a nice media center ;)

Reaction score
SATA's are soo small. i am tempted to buy a 6th gen on ebay and just glue on a 320Gb SATA. the drive was only 60 dollars. Anyone know of a forum for ipod software mods?
it seems that with a minor tweak, you could partition the drive = voila - 2 x 160 ipods in one.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
if that is your music library, you are the next best thing to a god in my book.

someday I want to have a music library of 100,000+ songs - all tagged w/ album artwork. i figured that will take a good portion of my lifetime. i'm only 18 so i have lots of time!

do you use an iPod? or what do you use?

Yeah, it's just music. It's as tagged as I can get an App like MPFreaker to get it. Most of it has artwork and good chunk of it has lyrics where applicable.

Kash said:
You think that's a lot, check this out. My TV Show collection on my computer is 777GB alone (note I said on my computer, I have tons more backed up on DVDs). My music collection is 35GB. My movies take up about 2310GB (again, with more backed up). So a grand total of 3.1TB. How's that for an eye popper?

Yeah, my Video is similar. I've got at least 1Tb of Movies and TV shows, probably more. In fact, here are the graphics for them, but they are probably 6 months old at least and need to be updated.

TV Shows
tv.jpg

Movies:
mov.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Kash, I would say you probably have a nice media center ;)

Indeed, I have my computer hooked up to my TV. Windows 7 Media Center looks fantastic, especially when browsing my movies, what with all the pretty covers and tons of meta data available.

I just need more space, my TV shows hard drive is almost full, it was down to 60GB out of 1TB before I backed up some shows onto DVD to make some room. The second I can afford a 1.5 or 2GB drive I'm gonna swap it out. My ideal plan is to build an 8TB NAS and throw everything onto there. Can't wait till that day :)

baggss, I have to admit, your music collection is awe inspiring. I have 5400 songs and already think that's quite a lot, I can't even begin to imagine what a 120,000 song collection looks like :p

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
OP
S
Reaction score
Correct me if I'm wrong, but Apple uses 1.8" drives in the iPod Classic. I don't believe there is a 320GB 1.8" drive yet, but I might be mistaken.

EDIT: Indeed, I am mistaken:

Toshiba's 320GB hard disk is world's largest 1.8-incher -- Engadget

Welp, if you aren't afraid of invalidating your warranty, you could always buy an iPod Classic, crack the case and swap one of these babies in.

is that really do-able?
and
how difficult would that be?
and how long does the warranty last for?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.