Local host name Already in Use???

C

code777

Hey guys, when I woke my iMac up just a few seconds ago I got this msg.

"This Computer's local hostname "****computer.local" is already in use on this network. The name has been changed to "****-2.local" automatically

To change the local hostname open System Pref. and click sharing. Then click edit and type the name in the local hostname field."

Why would this happen?

iWhat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!
You might have two computers named the same thing. It's telling you to change the name of one of your computers on your network. And you can easily do that in the Prefs. under Sharing. :cool:

OP
C

code777

oh ok. i took the pic down just because ;)

so is it because i have my iBook on a wireless network? Funny before Tiger it never said this...

iWhat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!
code777 said:
oh ok. i took the pic down just because ;)

so is it because i have my iBook on a wireless network? Funny before Tiger it never said this...

With my two macs running Panther, I mistakenly did the same thing, but my macs seemed to only connect to the network every other day. It's was a pain. Then, I was like, oh duh, I have two computers named the same thing, so I thought that must be the problem and the sharing option was the quickest fix for that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Did you transfer your users accounts from the one computer to the other when you installed Tiger?

That happened at work: When I transfered the user accounts & network settings they all had the same IP address, so I just manually changed them again...

Reaction score
same question but only one computer

Hey guys, when I woke my iMac up just a few seconds ago I got this msg.

"This Computer's local hostname "****computer.local" is already in use on this network. The name has been changed to "****-2.local" automatically

To change the local hostname open System Pref. and click sharing. Then click edit and type the name in the local hostname field."

Why would this happen?

Hello, I Have the same thing that happened. There is only one computer. I have not made changes. I do not know what this means, (local host etc). What should I do? I cannot do the change suggested. Does this mean someone else has gained access?? Thanks for any help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27" 5K, ElCapitan 10.11.3, Airport Extr, 15" MacBook Pro, Mavericks, 10.9.3, iPad 3, iPhone 6S
I only have one MacBook Pro. It is networked via coax with network switches between it and the DSL Router and also connects via Wi-Fi through my new Airport Extreme. The AirPort Extreme is plugged into the the network switch.

Every few days when I wake it up in the morning after it has been asleep all night I get the message, "This computer's local hostname "xxx-MacBookPro-2.local" is already on this network. The name has been changed to "xxx-MacBookPro-3.local"". I changed it back to "xxx-MacBookPro.local" a few days ago and now it is back to "xxx-MacBookPro-3.local". Is this because I have both a wired Ethernet connection and a wireless connection?

I have an iPhone 4S and an iPad 3 in addition to the MacBook Pro all connected via wireless.

Does it make any difference that this keeps changing?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.