Has anyone used the "Archive and Install" option in Tiger When installing?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dual 1.8GHz Power Mac G5; 1GB SDRAM; 160GB Serial ATA; 20 inch Cinema Display
I'm about to pick up my copy of Tiger today. I was wondering if this option would be an issue later on after the install. Would it just be better to back up everything anyway or just dive right in and use this option?

If I have to back up, there's really not much at all. My purchased music is always backed up as well as all of my Photography work. I guess the only things I'd have to back up are e-mails, bookmarks, contacts, and whatever spread-sheets I have created in the past 2 weeks.

Back on topic... Is this option good? Has anyone who has done the Tiger upgrade used this option? And what was your outcome?

Thanks for your input.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBA. 15" MBP. iPhone 4. 3G Pad 2.
I just Archived & Installed Tiger > Options > keep settings :)
Repaired Permissions first.

No problems but I did have to reinstall printer & mouse drivers and some of my internet setting slipped back to default.

I had backed up everything just in case. Just burnt all my user folders including Library on DVD through finder. If Archive & Install hadn't worked a clean install was the next option.

Have fun, Tiger is great.

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dual 1.8GHz Power Mac G5; 1GB SDRAM; 160GB Serial ATA; 20 inch Cinema Display
Great, thanks for the info. I'm actually leaving now to pick it up. When I get home I'll do some backing up just in case.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.