locked down my girl's mac

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro OS X 10.6
Hi everybody,

I managed to do something really really stupid..!!

Me and my girlfriend thought it would be great to share files, and when I was trying to do this, I thought it would be okay to remove "admin" from the list of who could control (read and write) my girlfriends computer. (Yes, I know. VERY smart) "System admin (?)" was also on the list, so I thought it was safe to remove anything else. But as it turned out, my girlfriend is now unable to do anything with her mac. It frozed all of a sudden, and when she restarted it, it wouldn't turn on. It's just showing a blue screen.

I tried to access from my computer, since I was trying to get access in the first place, but no.. - no access.

What to do??? Maybe some codes or something..? Mine is a macbook pro 10,6. Her's is a macbook.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Pro 2017 3GHz 10-core 128GB RAM MacBook Pro 13-inch 2.3GHz i5 16GB RAM
Have you tried to start from the installation disc?

OP
F
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro OS X 10.6
No, I haven't tried that yet. I only have the disc for my computer here.. Her discs is in another country.. heh.

You think that's the only way?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.1GHz MacBook with 4GB RAM, Mac OS X 10.6, iLife and iWork ‘09
That's probably the simplest way. You should be able to use your disc because you aren't installing anything. Just pop in the disc and start her computer while holding the C key and it'll start up from the Installation Disc after a bit. Once you have that running, open Disk Utility from the Utilities menu, and from within Disk Utility, select her hard disk in the pane on the left and then click Repair Disk Permissions. That should hopefully fix things.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
In fact the only way. Get her discs sent to you or buy a new set, boot from them and do a format of the drive and reinstall. Don't think an archive and install would work as you are unable to access the files.

Guess you are very lucky you are still her boyfriend?

OP
F
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro OS X 10.6
Hehe, I upgraded her version to snow leopard using my disc. That fixed everything, in fact my girlfriend was very happy with the outcome... Thanks for all the help =)

I will from now on be more careful when playing with different setting. Never thought I could do so much damage :p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
I messed with my mums mac once...... installing new osx on it, and the long and short is that her external hard drive that I used to back it up first, was corrupted, and lost most of her system.
The difference is though that she is my mum, and she loves me anyway.... but if it were my girlfriend, that would have been the beginning of the end!
I think you are one very very lucky man with the outcome, and don't ever forget that gut wrenching feeling that you had if you ever do get tempted to tinker with her mac before being sure that you have a working bootable backup.

I would highly recommend CCC Carbon Copy Cloner - Home or Super Duper SuperDuper! though, not only as something that you should have already, but also as a safeguard in case temptation gets the better of you :D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.