DVD Burnner for mini

D

diim

I have the mini with the combo drive, I would like to get an external dvd burnner so I can put together some home movies and put them on DVD. My question is do I need to get a spacific brand or will any external work, for instance there some really cheap external drives on sale at my local Best buy.

Is this ok? Or will I have to purchase it from Apple?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini 1.58 - 60 GB 7200 RPM Hard Drive - 1 GB PC3200 & 1.33 Ghz 12" iBook w/ 80 GB 7200 RPM HD
Well...using Patchburn you can use almost any brand of external burner. I'd personally try to find one with a firewire interface if possible. I have an old sony external that I use with my Mini thanks to Patchburn...and I've had zero issues with it...Other than it being slower than molasses and not supporting DL!

OP
E

embries

You'll really want a firewire drive. Even then it'll be slower than a comparable mac with an internal burner but it's not an option at this point anyhow. As mcsenerd pointed out, try to get one with dual layer compatability so your unit will last you a little longer.

OP
D

diim

What is Patchburn?

mcsenerd said:
Well...using Patchburn you can use almost any brand of external burner. I'd personally try to find one with a firewire interface if possible. I have an old sony external that I use with my Mini thanks to Patchburn...and I've had zero issues with it...Other than it being slower than molasses and not supporting DL!

OP
E

embries

PatchBurn is a tool to patch existing CD/DVD-drivers (under Mac-OS X 10.2.x) or to generate and install new device profiles (under Mac-OS 10.3.x and later)

It allows many, otherwise unsupported burners to be used directly with Mac-OS X, iTunes and DiscBurner.

uhh if you clicked the link he posted you would see this directly in the middle of the screen. :p

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.