• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

iMovie 09 import problems

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.5 Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB 667 MHz DDR2, 17" Hi-Res Display ; iPhone 3G 2.1
I have a JVC HD Camera that takes video in a .tod format. I then use visual hub to convert them to an mpeg format (1440 x 810 MPEG2 Muxed). Once they are converted I am able to import the clips into iMovie by placing them in a .dmg and using the import from camera option in iMovie. After being imported into iMovie they end up in a .mov format (1440 x 1080 MPEG-2 SD Camcorder, Integer (Little Endian), Timecode).

Eveery once in a while i have some clips that crash iMovie during the import process, or others that import fine but lose the audio stream. I am able to play these files without any problem in QT Pro, and I have been able to export them from QT Pro using the Apple Intermidiate Codec (1440 x 1080) / Integer (Little Endian), and then import them into iMovie without any problems. However, after the conversion in QT Pro i end up with files approx. 3 times the size of the original file. This ends up being quite a disk space hog when dealing with orignal files around 3.5 GB that end up being around 11 GB after the conversion.

Is there a better export setting i could use in QT Pro, that will result in smaller file sizes without sacrificing much quality, and still be able to import into iMovie?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
If you want HD, no. HD on iMovie uses AIC - AIC is very cpu friendly in terms of processing power to be able to play and edit, but it requires a significant amount of space.

The only way to get the files smaller would be to use SD or to do the 960x540 route (if I recall correctly on the import options).

Look at it this way - if you were using FCP, you'd be using ProRes, which compared to compressed formats, it's between like 6 and 10 times the original file size.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
I think FCP only supports the HD Camcorders that are listed on it's website.

Those are cameras Apple has tested. Others do work but are not on the list.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.