Unable to download QuickTime

Reaction score
New forum user here. I looked around and couldn't find a related a post.

I am running the latest version of Mac OS. My Software is uo to date. I upgraded to QuickTime Pro and when I tried to install I got the message below.

“QuickTime can’t be installed on this disk. This version of QuickTime 7 can’t be installed on this disk because QuickTime X is already present. Please use Software Update to install the appropriate version of QuickTime for your Mac. “

What I had was QuickTime Player, version 10 , I believe. So, not sure what to do, I moved that to the trash, and restarted. I still get the same message when trying to mount QT Pro now. I don't have any version of QT now, but the installer thinks I do.

Any advice?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
I'm not even sure if QT Pro is required or functions in Snow Leopard since I don't use it.

I would recommend moving QT X back where you got it from, "assuming" you haven't dumped the trash.

Would then use the Snow Leopard Disk - open up Optional Installs - start the Optional Installs pkg and select Quicktime 7. I think this installs QT 7.6. You may be able to upgrade that to QT Pro.

(It installs to the Applications / Utilities folder when you go looking for it.)

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
QT Pro will work in Snow Leopard. I used it recently to export video in some formats not supported in QT X. In my case I had QT Pro already installed when I moved to SL. When you go that route QT X is in the Applications folder and QT Pro is moved to the Utilities folder.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.