Router connection problems

Reaction score
I have an ADSL X-station connected to the Pc downstairs and an iMac upstairs connecting wirelessly, I have been recently having problems with the router, at first i had to reboot it to get the internet to work now rebooting sometimes doesn't work, so maybe its time for a new router...any suggestions? I would buy another X-station but can't find one ANYWHERE online. I checked the threads on here and looks like the D-Link DIR-655 is getting ratings so would this work for me? ones easy to set up would be appreciated as i don't no a lot and recently took a Belkin N back because it wasn't staying connected. thanks guys

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
As you've already discovered, there are quite a few of us here using the DIR-655 and like it. It is a pretty easy setup.

However, being upstairs while the router is downstairs is going to be an ongoing issue for you, no matter what brand of router you get. My home is a single story, so I can't even test it out. Perhaps wait until someone using it like this posts some comments.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
I have a D-link DIR 615, a lesser model, but I can happily use my old Powerbook upstairs without drop out. I get 3 bars on Airport, and my router is under a desk in my hall.
The router is Wireless N but the Powerbook certainly isn't.
Some of this will depend on the construction materials in your home (if you have lead lined floors upstairs you'll be stuck :D)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Some of this will depend on the construction materials in your home (if you have lead lined floors upstairs you'll be stuck )

If he has lead lined floors upstairs he better have a sturdy cement ceiling. :)

But you're right, it depends on the construction of the home. My son has his router upstairs (cheap model supplied by AT&T) and has no problem whatsoever using his PC notebook or iMac downstairs. The DIR-655 has better range ability than most routers so he should be OK.

BTW, I also have two DIR-615 routers as spares. I'm currently using an ActionTech supplied by Verizon since we have FIOS internet and TV.

(FIOS = Fiber Optic Service)

Regards.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You would hook the DIR-655 after the ADSL modem. In other words, the input line from your ISP connects to the modem, output from the modem to the input of the router. That will give you a wireless signal that can be used for the machines in your home.

Regards.

OP
L
Reaction score
thanks alot appreciate ur help, do u know of any good modems? as theres no point me having a good router with a rubbish modem or does it not matter to much?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Imac 27 I5-MBA 13-Ipad 2 Iphone 4 -ATV 2G
Just get a airport extreme,I had a dlink 615 it was good but the airport extreme is excellent I have had no problems whatsoever.

OP
L
Reaction score
I wanted to get that as everything Pc related gets on my nerves, but can i connect it to the pc downstairs adsl?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Imac 27 I5-MBA 13-Ipad 2 Iphone 4 -ATV 2G
I have a adsl modem which my isp provided,I have it hooked up to my airport extreme with a printer I have my imac running on ethernet, I have turned airport on on my imac it gets all bars, & have 3 laptops running wirelessly,my broadband speed is 1500/264k,its pretty quick & the airport extreme has worked flawlessly.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.