iMac Fan Speed Excessive

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 21.5in-4gb RAM-500 GB HD-3.06ghz Processor/iPhone 3G S/iPod Classic/iPod Shuffle
I just received my month old iMac today from repair for iSight related issues. Although iSight is back up and running, the fans now have increased in speed and are making a very loud sound almost as though they're in overdrive. This has been happening from the very first moment I plugged in my mac upon receiving it from repair. I tried the SMC reset but it's not responding. According to iStat my fans are operating at:

Optical Drive: 4350rpm, Hard Drive: 1099rpm, CPU Fan: 3856rpm.

Is this normal and if so what else can I do to silence my fans back to the way they were? Please help. I don't want to have to send my iMac back in for repair again.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 21 inch
i had a similar problem when the repair person forgot to plug in the temperature sensor for the fan. it ran high all the time. i did take mine back, luckily i could drive the 45 minutes to get it fixed.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Is this normal and if so what else can I do to silence my fans back to the way they were? Please help. I don't want to have to send my iMac back in for repair again.

No, it's not normal. As the previous poster stated - they more than likely forgot to plug in the temperature sensor. You need to take it on back unless you want your fans to be damaged. Be sure to speak to the manager of the store and let he or she know that the previous repair was not done properly.

Regards.

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 21.5in-4gb RAM-500 GB HD-3.06ghz Processor/iPhone 3G S/iPod Classic/iPod Shuffle
Back to the repair shop I go!

Thanks for the advice. I guess I have no choice at this point other than to take it back. I appreciate the advice though!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.