Quicktime 7

P

pdnellius

Hey, I'm having a problem with H.264 codec videos stuttering like crazy. I'm using a 17" Powerbook G4 1.67Ghz 1GB Memory.

Also, if anyone has tips on how to resolve, it'd be great.
Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" Flat Panel iMac -15" 1.5GHz, 80GB HDD, 128MB ATI video card, 1GB RAM- PowerBook
Really? I haven't had any problems with my 17" PowerBook 1.5GHz 1GB Memory. Are you viewing them embedded in a web page or in the free floating Quicktime window?

Where are you getting the videos from, I could try them when I get home to see if it works the same for me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
If you are trying to view the HD videos from apple.com it is because you need a very powerful system for HD videos.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" Flat Panel iMac -15" 1.5GHz, 80GB HDD, 128MB ATI video card, 1GB RAM- PowerBook
trpnmonkey41 said:
If you are trying to view the HD videos from apple.com it is because you need a very powerful system for HD videos.

I watched the Batman Begins trailer from Apple.com's HD movie trailers section with no problem on my PowerBook.

OP
P

pdnellius

I downloaded them off of the HDGallery...it was like 100+ MB or something. 1080i... should they be running smoothly?

EDIT: And it was the Batman Returns Video.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
What are your system specs pdnellius?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Try going into your Energy Saver tab in the Preferences tab and set it to Max Performance (I think thats what its called) and see if that makes a difference.

OP
P

pdnellius

rberry88 said:
Try going into your Energy Saver tab in the Preferences tab and set it to Max Performance (I think thats what its called) and see if that makes a difference.

Well, still no luck. No one else is experiencing significant frame skipping/stuttering?? I mean, the Batman trailer is almost unwatchable.... it's like 5 frames/sec

iWhat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!
pdnellius said:
Well, still no luck. No one else is experiencing significant frame skipping/stuttering?? I mean, the Batman trailer is almost unwatchable.... it's like 5 frames/sec

You should also try closing out every app running on your system, including the ones in the menu bar. You should see an improvement.

OP
E

embries

If you're trying to run those 1080 clips full screen on the G4, I don't think it's going to happen. Watching them windowed perhaps, but not full screen.

OP
P

pdnellius

Yeah, that's fine. The thing that had me confused was that other people with a G4 had no problems.

OP
S

saito

I have the exact same problem with the exact same pb specs. I downloaded the hd 1080 clips from apple, and they keep stuttering, however audio plays fine.

I closed all other programs, i played the video half size and even smaller, but the video still stutters.

fairly dissapointing i'd say. Hope theres some kind of fix or something.

[edit]

Just checked the recommended system for 1080 playback. Dual 2 Ghz G5 :rolleyes:

http://www.apple.com/quicktime/hdgallery/recommendations.html

finally... my pb has met its match :eek:neye:

OP
P

pdnellius

I must say I'm a little dissapointed too.... I just bought my powerbook.... guess I'll have to use my windows pc for HD video... :rolleyes:

OP
K

Kokopelli

From what I have read most PCs are not much better off. You need in excess of a 3GHz PIV to play HD without too many dropped frames.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Yeah, as I just stated elsewhere, even our 20" iMac at work (1,8Ghz G5, 1Gig RAM) was dropping frames playing the smaller HD format!
It was barely noticeable, but still occasionally there...

The larger format was worse...

HDV is for powermac users only I think.

Besides: You won't tell a difference unless you're using a HD-monitor anyway! (i.e. 23" & 30" Apple displays) The iMac & Powerbook displays aren't HD, so what's the point? Let's forget HD for a year or two...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hmmm, something just occured to me. What video card do you guys (gals) have?? In my PowerBook, I have the 128MB ATI Radeon, I'm wondering if that is the difference in performance.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Probably would explain a lot...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.