Advice on trading newer Macbook for older Macbook Pro

Reaction score
Hi all,

I would really appreciate some insight on a prospective trade that I'm having trouble getting comfortable with. I own a late 2008/early 2009 13" unibody Macbook with a 2.4 GHz processor, 320GB HD, and 4GB of RAM. It's a great computer and I haven't had any problems with it at all, but the lack of a firewire port as an audio guy has been frustrating.

I've been discussing terms for a trade with someone I found on craigslist who has a slightly older early 2008 15" non-unibody Macbook Pro (I know to be very careful with internet deals/scams and whatnot but I've discussed the potential deal extensively with this guy and he's been great so far). He says that he got his computer in September 2008, which would make it 3 or 4 months older than mine. It seems to be well equipped, with a 2.6 GHz processor, 250 GB HD, and 4GB of RAM.

Where we left off last we had said that I would give him my Macbook and $500 for his Macbook Pro, but the more I think about it the more I feel like $500 is too much, especially for a slightly older machine (not to mention I don't just have $500 sitting around). Of course there are other variables such as the condition of his computer, but that's something I'd be able to investigate if I were to go check out his MBP.

Although I consider myself pretty computer savvy, I am fairly new to Macs and throwing expensive computers and hundreds of dollars around makes me nervous. So, I have a few questions for all of you knowledgeable people out there, and I thank you in advance for your help!

If anyone owns that particular 15" 2.6GHz model of the Macbook Pro, what has been your experience with it?

I was also wondering if anyone could tell me if there is a significant difference between DDR2 RAM and DDR3 RAM, as that would be a downgrade from my computer to his.

What kind of difference in overall performance could I expect going from my computer to his?

His MBP from what I understand was the last non-unibody model. Am I selling myself short by getting an older machine?

I suppose the two fundamental questions are; 1)what do you all think would be fair deal? and 2)should I not even bother? It seems like something that could work out for me, but until I really know what I'm getting into I don't want to risk anything. Again, thanks so much for the help, I look forward to reading your answers!

Reaction score
Check the older MBP - If it is a MacBookPro1,1 - then don't do it.
The MBP1,1 is 1st generation Intel Core Duo 2 - and will NOT support Snow Leopard in 64-bit mode.
It will also max out at 2GB RAM - period.
I am typing on one now, and I'll probibly be giving it to my daughter (7th grade) and get a newer MBP with the Core II Duo & 4GB RAM.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive
That sounds a) risky since it's craigslist, and b) you're probably better off selling your current macbook on eBay (they do retain their value) for whatever you can get for it, and use the proceeds from that to get a 13" Macbook Pro. They come with Firewire (and 800 at that) and some other goodies. You can even get a refurb to keep the cost down.

Lack of firewire was the main reason I skipped on the first gen aluminum Macbook (different reason, have firewire enclosure with external drive) and went with the 13" MBP when the time came to update my white Macbook.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Mac2Sell for his MBP - $1250-1300 (Mac2Sell does not have the 2.6 as an available selection, only the next version which was a 2.66)
Mac2Sell for your MB - $900

You're gaining FW, the 8600M with 512MB and more screen real estate.
Doubt you'll notice much of any difference between the 2 systems except for 3D gameplay.

I'd verify he's got the 2.6 as that chip was only available as an upgrade option from the 2.5 to the top of the line 15" at a price of $250.

If that 320 GB drive you have is the 7200 RPM, your MB will probably have a quicker feel in general use than that MBP with the stock 5400 drive.

Personally, would not advise to trade the new MB for the older MBP. While it is still a fine machine, have to agree with walkerj. If you need to do this, sell yours, add the $500 and get a new one complete with new warranty. If you were looking for a gaming machine, then ... maybe ... for $350-400.

Reaction score
I think I'd only do it if it were a fair trade. I wouldn't advise paying any money out of your pocket for that deal. I just purchased a used 15" MBP and I'm going to sell my 13" Black MacBook. So far, I love it. I like the screen size and the overall look of the older MBP's. The only thing that's gonna be a huge downfall in my opinion is the battery life. These things only get around 3 hours of battery life which is a huge downgrade from the newer Macs.

You should have the guy download coconutbattery to see how old the computer actually is. And you can compare it to yours.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.