Recording PlayStation 3 Gameplay in HD

Reaction score
So it's that or spend 1Grand - Sucks to be me right now. LOL...

So that being the case if I had too or if anyone else reading this is happy with using component cables (which so far looks like the only way) would this Elgato Video Capture device work well with it being that it is created for MAC... ?

Thanks heaps for all your help by the way.
I read your web page - looks to be a very promising site. Well done. :)

Kind Regards, Trev. (T-BILLIONS)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
uMBP 2.4/4GB/250GB; iPhone 3GS
ElGato will work, unfortunately the RGB cables (I think thats what they are called), cannot carry anything over 480p. So I think your better of with the component since you can gain from the higher resolution.

Thanks for the compliment.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
... then connect a dvi-to-Hdmi adapter to the splitter and have the other side plug into my mbp's Dvi jack???

No, that will not work. The port on your MBP is video out only. It will not accept video in. You will need a video capture device.

Wish Elgato would make one of these with HDMI input.

Those of use that jumped on the bandwagon early on have been desiring a capture card with HDMI in for the past 5 years. Welcome to the club. Don't even believe you are the first to try to do what you want. I've been using a computer to capture video for well over 10 years now.

... would this Elgato Video Capture device work well with it being that it is created for MAC... ?

... (T-BILLIONS)

No, that will not work. That device is for analog only input via composite or S-Video and is really designed for capturing from a VCR although it would work for other analog sources. You are now taking a GIANT step backward from your initial desire.

edit: Wanting to record your PS3 onto your computer will become only your first step into the world of HTPC. To find many others that have now totally moved to current generation systems, you should also be reading the AVS forums, particularly the Home Theater Computer forum (aka HTPC) and the Mac specific forum. You'll find a wealth of info there and days of reading.

Reaction score
Wow... OK...

I will continue to look for something that will work with HDMI (that is a little more affordable) as this is what the thread creator is after. I'm sure if there isn't anything out right now there will be soon enough from this particular company.

Although if you have a mac pro (not a macbook pro) your in luck and could give one of these a whirl.
But for the peoples like myself who have an imac or a macbook/ macbook pro so far in my searching the component option is the only way to do it cheaply.
Just remember though if your willing to part with $1000 you could get it done with one of these.

Kind Regards, Trev. (T-BILLIONS) ;)

Reaction score
Here ya go - This is what I was after - I have aked this guy for a little more info on the set up but if you scroll down to the Recording PS3 Output via HDMI section there will be pictures there of the way to do it.

Rule 1 guys is never give up and stuff reading the whole alphabet when ya can jump straight to Z. ;)

Regards, Trev (T-BILLIONS)

Reaction score
Ok so here is the cheaper option for recording PS3 gameplay without eliminating your HDMI leads in turn still being able to play games and watch movies in 1080i.

Connect your PS3 with the output HDMI to an HDMI Splitter (Needs to be powered). Then, you connect the splitter to your TV, and the second output to the HDFURY2/3 (what ever you choose). The HDFury2/3 will output in VGA to component in on the Hauppauge HDPVR. (VGA to component lead comes with HDFURY2/3 if bought from the links) The output of sound in HDFURY2 will only a be of stereo sound, If you want your sound in 5.1 you will need the HDFURY3. Finally, the Hauppauge needs to be plugged into your computer via a good quality 2.0 usb lead; For the best result it is recomended to use a lead less than 2m in length.

Total cost (approx) = $550/600
For more information please vist this site. All thanks are to this man's site.
He is very helpful and knowledgeable with this set up and willing to answer your questions. :)

Kind Regards, Trev. (T-BILLIONS) ;D

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
And bottom line, you have still not gone into the computer using HDMI which was your pre-requisite from the beginning. You have now switched it to a component and had to move from a digital to analog signal hitting the video capture device.

Reaction score
And bottom line, you have still not gone into the computer using HDMI which was your pre-requisite from the beginning. You have now switched it to a component and had to move from a digital to analog signal hitting the video capture device.

No, not at all - The whole time I knew you had no idea what I was asking... MAC'S dont have HDMI in so how could I ever do that???? Now your just making things up!
I've answered my own question now. Maybe you can take a minute to read back... The only thing I was after was a way of recording without eliminating HDMI from my entertainment set up: CONSISTING OF: T.V. - PS3 - AMP(+ surround sound)... A computer is not part of an entertainment system.

:Smirk:

Oh also while your at it - Check this out. Yes I know it's Windows only at the momet - But the technology is now there and at an affordable price - Won't be too long and MAC will have it or something like it soon. Enjoy!
http://www.blackmagic-design.com/products/intensity/

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.