Recording PlayStation 3 Gameplay in HD

Reaction score
Hello, this is my first post here on Mac Forums and I was hoping you all could help me out. My goal is to record 1080p HD gameplay video footage at either 60 or 120 Hz from my PlayStation 3 with a MacBook Pro running Snow Leopard. Any links, comments, suggestions, etc. will be appreciated and helpful!

Here is my current hardware/setup:
- PlayStation 3 (Slim)
- Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2
- Vizio 1080p 120Hz 55" HDTV
- MacBook Pro (17", Unibody, Snow Leopard)

Currently my PlayStation 3 is connected to my TV through an HDMI cable sending a 1080p (60Hz) video signal. My TV then sends surround sound to my 5:1 Sony surround sound system through the TV's audio out. My goal is to connect my PlayStation 3 to my TV and my MacBook Pro allowing me to play in HD (1080p, 60Hz) and record in HD (1080p, 60Hz). I've seen a few different products that have you plug you PS3 into them and then they allow you to have 2 different outputs (the computer and the TV) and I think there are also some products that allow you to connect your PS3 to your TV then output the video to your computer. But I'm not sure... I also know there are a few applications/hardwares that allow you to connect video to your computer (eyeTV). But I don't know what to get, how to set it up, and how much it will cost.

THANKS IN ADVANCE!

Reaction score
A little help but would love some alternative options...

Hey guys - I just signed up beacuse this thread is asking a question that I also would love to know the answer too...:)

I'm in the same boat - wanting to know the same as above.

I'm personaly not interested in ways using anything other than HDMI - As everything in my entertainment system uses HDMI and am not willing to revert to any other insuperior cables etc in an attempt to record my gaming.

From my personal research so far it is very possible to do but very expensive - I have listed it below with a MASSIVE thank you! to ziggyonice in a reply to a thread in macrumors - After hours of research you put my mind to a limited ease by knowing that it is at the very least possible.

To keep you interested this is his sugested set up...:D

To start with you will need this Canopus Real-Time HDMI-to-HDV Converter However, they probably didn't expect this device to be used for recording a gaming session. And often when using converters, there can be lag when playing games. So for that reason, you'd need to get a HDMI splitter that way you will eliminate the lag issue as you are no longer going into the coverter and back to the T.V. Instead you have a seperate plug for your recording device and the other plug to continue your original path.

Now - Thats awesome if I had the money - And if I have to I will pay it, But on the other hand if there is a more cost efficent way to do it well all the better for everyone - So to anyone with an ear closely place on the screen. Please reply to this guys thread!!! Please...

And again - only HDMI suggestions please not AV, S-VIDEO, etc.... no arguing what system is better PS3 V XBOX or PC v MAC... This thread is asking a specific question that needs a specific answer - Like I've mentioned I've read hours of threads asking this question all with replies dilly dallying around the intended question...

Thanks in anticipation to a reply. :Smirk:

Kind Regards, Trev. (T-BILLIONS) ;D

***Hope it all reads well - this is my first post in here***

OHHH and just incase anyone is interested.
Here is a page from Australian Mac World confiming that it will work in recording PS3 via HDMI.

And this is the cheapest price I was able to find in Australia (for any Aussies out there) New Media

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
No dilly dallying around here. There is no device by any manufacturer that will allow you to directly capture 1080p via HDMi to your computer and keep it at 1080p. All the manufacturers of video capture devices are scared of the movie studios.

I would suggest you get a Windows machine and then put the Hauppage HD PVR in it. You can get 1080i via component at least. Or just install Windows on your Mac since this is an external box. Less than $300 does it all.

Reaction score
Thanks for your reply. More questions though.

Thanks heaps for a quick reply. :)

I guess the best way to describe what I think we are both after here is something that can be incorporated to a HDMI based entertainment system - now personally I'd be happy with my recorded gaming to be in HD it doesn't have to be FULL HD 1080 but if recording the game means I have to give up actually playing the game without use of my HDMI leads then I'm not into the suggestion.

I have read about the Hauppage HD PVR and also the Blitz Box my only concern is what I've mentioned just above, as they both use componet cables and dont have the option for HDMI... :(

I wonder though if I did this if it would work - Hopefully you or someone else here is able to tell me... :)

1st step: Get a HDMI Splitter - Connect this into the back of the PS3, I would have now obviously have two HDMI plugs from the back of the PS3.

2nd step: From the 1st plug connect as per previous set up. (Mine goes from the PS3 to the amp then from the amp to the T.V.)

3rd step: From the 2nd plug connect a HDMI to Component Cable (if this would work skip step 4) or if that wouldn't work Plug a HDMI to HDMI lead into a HDMI to Component Converter. (Please let me know which would be needed to make this work)

..................................................................................................
4th step: From the HDMI to Component converter connect Component to component lead into the Converter and the Hauppage HD PVR / Blitz Box or whatever recording device you choose.
..................................................................................................

5th step: From HDMI to Component cable plug component leads into the Hauppage HD PVR / Blitz Box or whatever recording device you choose.

6th step: From HD PVR / Blitz Box or whatever recording device you choose connect to your PC / Mac.

Would this work?
I've also noticed that Blitz make a Wireless version - what are any disadvantages it could have? eg. Might be lesser quality, lag - ect. if any...

Thanks heaps for your reply - Im really excited to find a cheaper alternative to my previous post as that is actually a commerical grade piece of equiptment... LOL.. ;D

P.S. I hope that all made sense. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
uMBP 2.4/4GB/250GB; iPhone 3GS
You can use component cables to the PVR. They offer up to 1080i. Like the post above said, you WILL NOT get 1080p. With that said, use component cables instead.

You also do not need an HDMI to Component converter. The PS3 has a set of components, find them at your local Best Buy

Reaction score
Thanks for your reply. But please read the question properly. :)

How to reply without getting frustrated??? :Confused:

I’m not going to be an *** but In order to answer the question - you need to read my posts more carefully.

I thank you for taking the time to reply but yes I have looked at the back my Playstation before and do realise that there is a spot for component input - which would seem perfect if I didn't spend thousands on having a dedicated HDMI entertainment system (as I've mentioned in my last two posts)

Now please don't get me wrong I seriously don't want to come across rude or ungrateful for your reply but I'm unsure if you've actually read MY post and by posting "Like the post above said, you WILL NOT get 1080p. With that said, use component cables instead." Show's you didn't read my question properly if at all. I do remember saying this however "now personally I'd be happy with my recorded gaming to be in HD it doesn't have to be FULL HD 1080 but if recording the game means I have to give up actually playing the game without use of my HDMI leads then I'm not into the suggestion."

Now seeing as though simultaneously running HDMI and component cables from the back of the playstation also wouldn't work (if that's what you were maybe trying to imply?) I'm now left to try find another way to incorporate the component cable into my set up WITHOUT eliminating HDMI - I have made mention to one product that is dedicated to HDMI (the Canopus) but it is worth twice the price of a new PS3 which kinda eliminates it from my wish list for this year. LOL.. So now I’m interested in seeing if my above idea of HDMI splitting and crossing to component would work.
(Anyone who reads this particular post please read post #4). :)

If you or anyone else out there knows the answer I would appreciate your reply. Thanks once again for taking the time to reply but I really can't stress this enough. "I'm personally not interested in ways using anything other than HDMI - As everything in my entertainment system uses HDMI and am not willing to revert to any other insuperior cables etc in an attempt to record my gaming."

Many Kind Regards, Trev. (T-BILLIONS) ;D

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Believe he read your question, same as I did. Remember, no dilly dallying. The quick and easy answer is NO.

There is NO device that will allow you to input via HDMI into a computer, whether it be Windows, Linux or OS X.

No, the splitter will not work. Just read the reviews of the one you linked to.

No, there is no such animal as a HDMI to component cable that will work for less than $150. There is only one adapter I'm aware of at that price and the conversion boxes as you have found out are in the neighborhood of a grand.

Go ahead, buy the splitter or the cable and you'll have some more cables to stick in the drawer with the rest of them you don't use any more.

All because you don't want to spend the $30 on the component cables to connect to your PS3 so you want to spend $150-$1000 to keep your HDMI plugged into it and then convert it to component. Sorry, but this makes absolutely no sense to me.

When you want to do things, the question always needs to be "I want to do X, how can I accomplish it". Then you get answers on the varying methodologies that can be used to accomplish X.

When you ask "I want to do X, and only tell me how to do it using method Z; well, when there is nothing that works with method Z, you get NO answers.

edit: One more thing, if there is some new fangled thing that will let you get HDMI from a PS3, Blu-Ray player, etc. into a computer that I haven't seen yet, I'm sure someone will show up to point the error of my ways... they always do.

edit2: you may want to look at this thread even though it's about recording from Xbox.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
How to reply without getting frustrated??? :Confused:

I’m not going to be an *** but In order to answer the question - you need to read my posts more carefully.

I thank you for taking the time to reply but yes I have looked at the back my Playstation before and do realise that there is a spot for component input - which would seem perfect if I didn't spend thousands on having a dedicated HDMI entertainment system (as I've mentioned in my last two posts)

Now please don't get me wrong I seriously don't want to come across rude or ungrateful for your reply but I'm unsure if you've actually read MY post and by posting "Like the post above said, you WILL NOT get 1080p. With that said, use component cables instead." Show's you didn't read my question properly if at all. I do remember saying this however "now personally I'd be happy with my recorded gaming to be in HD it doesn't have to be FULL HD 1080 but if recording the game means I have to give up actually playing the game without use of my HDMI leads then I'm not into the suggestion."

Now seeing as though simultaneously running HDMI and component cables from the back of the playstation also wouldn't work (if that's what you were maybe trying to imply?) I'm now left to try find another way to incorporate the component cable into my set up WITHOUT eliminating HDMI - I have made mention to one product that is dedicated to HDMI (the Canopus) but it is worth twice the price of a new PS3 which kinda eliminates it from my wish list for this year. LOL.. So now I’m interested in seeing if my above idea of HDMI splitting and crossing to component would work.
(Anyone who reads this particular post please read post #4). :)

If you or anyone else out there knows the answer I would appreciate your reply. Thanks once again for taking the time to reply but I really can't stress this enough. "I'm personally not interested in ways using anything other than HDMI - As everything in my entertainment system uses HDMI and am not willing to revert to any other insuperior cables etc in an attempt to record my gaming."

Many Kind Regards, Trev. (T-BILLIONS) ;D

No hard feelings, I did read your post complete. I myself have a complete HDMI system. But the best solution, IMO would be (assuming you have a receiver like mine, an Onkyo), use the HDMI from the PS3 to the Receiver, then use component outputs from there. No need for a converter of any sort. Perhaps, not sure but just theorizing here, split the components, 1 to the PVR and 1 to the TV, that way you can play while recording. But then again, the PVR has a loop out for the TV anyways.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No hard feelings, I did read your post complete. I myself have a complete HDMI system. But the best solution, IMO would be (assuming you have a receiver like mine, an Onkyo), use the HDMI from the PS3 to the Receiver, then use component outputs from there. No need for a converter of any sort. Perhaps, not sure but just theorizing here, split the components, 1 to the PVR and 1 to the TV, that way you can play while recording. But then again, the PVR has a loop out for the TV anyways.

Now, that's an idea I hadn't thought of. Will the Onkyo output video through two ports simultaneously? I have not tried that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The Onkyo has a variety of things. To my knowledge, my receiver does not do it. But there are receivers that are "2-Zone Capable", not exactly what it means, but it can very well mean it can do it.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeah the two zone only works for the speakers, not the video out.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thats what I imagined. Well regardless, he can use that assuming he settles for having component cables ran to his TV which at most will achieve 1080i, which is still pretty good.

Reaction score
Thanks to both. Especially rzj90059.

Hi again to both - thanks for the replys.

I'll go in order any reply to bobtomay first...

Thanks for the reply - I'll just explain that the only reason I want to keep everything HDMI is because it's an uncompressed source meaning that when actually playing a game or more importantly and perhaps more so watching a blu-ray movie you get a better picture and better quality of audio because HDMI doesn't need to compress anything when passing through the wires unlike component cables.
I do however thank you for pointing out that my idea wouldn't work as you have saved me time and money and I honestly can't thank you enough for that... :)

Now rzj90059 thanks for being understanding - Yes my amp works on the same principle - I was actually looking at the Onkyo but ended up going with Marantz. Obviously having the same set up as mine you can see why I wouldn't like to revert back and waste the time and money I originaly spent to get my home entertainment to do this. When I originally set mine up there was only 3 amps in the price range I could afford that had HDMI with video pass through and it was a painfully long effort trying to get someone that knew what I actually wanted - I got two amps that had HDMI input but wouldnt pass through the picture back to the T.V. to which the salesman then said ??? I dunno mate - try this place. And first go I got an amp that worked. LOL... Kinda an irrelevant story I didnt need to tell but I guess what I'm saying is I went to that effort to get what I wanted I went straight to "Z" and got it - It's just finding someone who knows and that person may just be you; so by what your saying going from component out on my amp to the PVR I should be able to record the gaming that way? This would be exactly the type of idea I'm after - Do you know for sure this would work? Very exciting... :D

Thats the kinda no dilly dallying around answer I was after - Thank you very, very much.

Kind Regards to both, Trev. (T-BILLIONS) ;D

Reaction score
Wow you guys are fast in the time it took me to write that last post you both posted 2 times each.. LOL. Ok so that wont work either - zang... Back to the drawing board or more than likely - The waiting line. LOL...

Reaction score
That's a really cool question!

I've got an Argosy HDMI media player that will record the PS3 but quality is 720p as opposed to 1080p. Let me give it a go and get back to you on this as it's a really good idea!

Now the question is how to get SL to write on the media player. All it will do is read at this time but that's another post!

Reaction score
Ok, the ways you guys explained things seem way more complicated than the obvious, which is what I'm about to ask:

Can I buy this HDMI splitter (Ultra Performance 1080p 2 Port HDMI Splitter at TigerDirect.com), connect it to my PS3's Hdmi Out, giving me now 2 Hdmi Outs, then connect a dvi-to-Hdmi adapter to the splitter and have the other side plug into my mbp's Dvi jack???

Of course from there I will need to find software that can understand what I'm putting into the mac, but that's step/question #2. If you have an answer to step 2 also, I would appreciate the input.

Thx!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I doubt that the Mac will accept anything going into the DVI port, I believe it only exports. I believe the 2nd method I suggested will work. If you want to record gameplay, then it would make sense to use the component method only during then, while reverting back to HDMI when playing glorious 1080p feeds.

I understand what you mean T-BILLIONS, when I was on a search for all the components that make up my home theatre, I went through **** with the salesmen at different retail stores. Most were not knowledgeable. Anyways, that is the best and only method I can suggest to record any type of feed of such a high resolution. To tell you the truth, 1080p differs very little to 720p, at least to the human eye. So you will be in good hands if you downgrade to capturing video at 720p, plus you will save tons of hard drive space.

May I ask what you are trying to accomplish by capturing gameplay at such a high resolution?

Reaction score
The resolution of the captured gameplay for me personally (not the original thread creator) doesn't matter all that much I'd personally be happy with 720p as the recorded quality.

The only thing that matters to me personally is that I can still play the game and or watch a movie at 1080p whilst recording. Hence wanting to keep the HDMI's.

Hope that made sense. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It makes total sense. The closest you can get to the best of worlds is through component cables. At most achieving a 1080i playback and a lesser resolution if the PVR allows it.

1080i doesn't differ much from 1080p, so if I were you, I would settle for 1080i while gameplay/recording.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.