replacing a logic board

Reaction score
Sorry for double posting but I got no reply in the spillage thread. (Mods I hope this ok?)

I just got word from an apple authorised repairman that my logic board is fried from liquid damage! MAJOR BUMMER . The spillage happened almost 2 years ago and I thought I got all the coffee dried out.

I spilled about 3 ounces of the white coffee on the top left corner of the key board. I dried all surface damage straight away and left to dry the inside for a few days.

Everything worked great except for a small stain in the lower corner of my screen. A fortnight ago I got a dreaded black screen on start up.

I gave it to mac repair man and he just quoted me €1700 to replace the logic board, topcase, track pad and key board.

Obviously there is no point getting him to do repairs when I could buy a new machine for €1300.(but I'm broke)

My question is this - Should I attempt to replace the logic board myself (I have experience in PC land at this type of thing) and why if the trackpad and keyboard worked fine before I dropped into the shop could they still work?

Thanks for reading and for your own sake get a seperate table for coffee in the office.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You didn't say which country you live in but I suspect somewhere in Europe? In any event, a new logic board here in the US varies in price depending on the year model of the machine. The board alone will probably set you back around $300 to $600 new (again depending on the model). However, some places sell used boards with a warranty. Here's a place you might want to go to and look for a replacement board: LINK

Also, I'm assuming you have the necessary skills to do the replacement yourself. I would hate to spend $300 to $600 for a board only to find out after I replaced it that it didn't work. :Oops:

Regards.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Please do not post multiple times or crosspost. You won't get a reply any faster....

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.