Is MacBook pro really worth buying?

Reaction score
Hello friends,

I have been lately asking to lots of my own friends about which brand laptop to buy
HP, Dell, Sony, MacBook pro etc.

They all told me MAcBook pro.

What is the benefit of MacBook Pro ? Please can someone tell me some important benefits than HP (they have HDMI port, Blu Ray, 1 Terra Byte HDD etc).

What is the thing i can get in MacBook pro Laptop ?

Suppose i buy MacbOok pro 17 inch lapto. am i able to upgrade it later, when Core i7 or i9 processor comes? or upgrade the HDD when they have 1 TB HDD drive?

Need advise guys.

Thanks

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
OSX. To me that is the only reason to purchase a Mac anything over a Windows machine.

You can upgrade the hard drive and RAM. Not the CPU though. FEW notebook computers have an upgradable CPU.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
If hardware specs mean more to you than what your operating system can do for you, then there's no sense in buying a Mac. The priorities are entirely different. I bought my first Mac (a 15" MacBook Pro) in the Summer of 2008. Prior to the Mac, I had been using Linux for about 4 years because I was sick of Windows.

I also used to build PC's all the time, so I'm no stranger to maxing out specs on a PC. But unless your primary concern is overclocking and gaming, those things don't matter AT ALL. Most people spec out their systems just because it sounds cool, even if the end result is meaningless or overkill.

Also note, there aren't nearly as many games for the OS X platform as there are for Windows, so the point is pretty moot if all you care about is specs from that standpoint.

You have to be realistic. What will you be using your next computer for ? OS X is more about stability and convenience and ease of use *amongst other things of that nature* and not so much about geeky test scores and such.

And just so you know, since having switched to OS X, I've been more productive than I ever was when using Windows (or Linux for that matter.)

So again, what will you be using the computer for ?

Doug

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Suppose i buy MacbOok pro 17 inch lapto. am i able to upgrade it later, when Core i7 or i9 processor comes?

If you purchased a "Windows" laptop computer you wouldn't be able to upgrade the processor either!

- Nick

OP
A
Reaction score
Hello..
HP currently is offering core quad i7 processor already.. which is the top specifiction i assume

However, all software, games are mostly in windows..

So what other advantage we have in having a macbook pro ??

Why everyone is after macbook pro these days??

1) I see price is being high - price isnt factor to me, just mentioning
2) There is no HDMI port
3) HP currently gives 1 TB HDD, but MacPro has 500 GB - 7,200 Highest
4) 8 GB Ram both r giving
5) TV Tuner option in HP laptop
6) Core Quat i7 processor currently by HP

I really need to know some good advantages..

comeon all macbook pro people, i am sure most of all might have had some other brand before, why you moved to macbook pro?

Thanks BUddies

Reaction score
I don't own a Macbook pro yet but I love the unibody design of the macbook pro with its metallic silver appearance,it just looks so much better than other notebooks,to me it just screams quality that you don't see in other notebooks.I mean if your using something daily it has to look nice,also the back-lite keyboard is nice.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MacBook Pro 2.26, 4gb RAM, 500gb HD
You're asking the wrong question. The question is which operating system do I want to run? If you are looking for a computer to run Windows, then buy the HP, Dell, etc. If you are interested in running OS X, then the MacBook Pro is the way to go.

If the only thing you're interested in is hardware specs, then you will be able to find a notebook PC with the specs you are wanting for a bit less money than the MBP. I would however, encourage you to visit an Apple store. Play around with OS X in the store. Also, note the build quality of the MBP. The quality of the machining of the aluminum casing. The glass LED display. The backlit keys. The fit and finish is amazing. It's a high end notebook, not unlike a luxury automobile. Some people prefer to pay a little more for something high end. Others are not.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
Hello..
HP currently is offering core quad i7 processor already.. which is the top specifiction i assume

However, all software, games are mostly in windows..

So what other advantage we have in having a macbook pro ??

Why everyone is after macbook pro these days??

1) I see price is being high - price isnt factor to me, just mentioning
2) There is no HDMI port
3) HP currently gives 1 TB HDD, but MacPro has 500 GB - 7,200 Highest
4) 8 GB Ram both r giving
5) TV Tuner option in HP laptop
6) Core Quat i7 processor currently by HP

I really need to know some good advantages..

comeon all macbook pro people, i am sure most of all might have had some other brand before, why you moved to macbook pro?

Thanks BUddies

WOW. Did you even bother to read my post ? SPECS MEAN NOTHING. Answer my question. What will you be using it for ?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Alum. Mac book 13", MacBook Pro 15"
I bought my MacBook because of the fit and finish, quality, and the operating system. I like the fact that if I am at a different job site and I need to print something, 9 times out of 10 I can just plug a USB into my MacBook and right into someones printer and print. No looking all over the net for driver, trying to "get" my windows system to work, etc... I have a high end Dell at work and am always having to fix (or call our IT people) to reconfigure something that just goes out of whack. The MAC just works! That is why it is worth it to me

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15", 2.8Ghz, 4gb, 500gb
I bought mine because I was sick of my pc's taking dumps on me. I've had to buy 2 different pc's in 3 years. One was an HP pavillion slimline which got infected by a virus and I had to clear the HDD and revert back to factory settings which ****** me off. Then after that the thing never ran right. Very slow, constantly having to update, scan, and I lost almost all space on my HDD due to the cookies, spam and adware. My second one was a gaming pc, called Dragon. It had all the bells and whistles. It was a homebuilt with the highest of everything. Well the motherboard fried on it because the fans took a dump on it. Didn't notice it until it was too late. Why did I switch to Mac? Because pc's are built cheap, their operating system is horrible, having to scan every week, having to update every other day, spam bogging down the processor etc. etc. Apple is the perfect computer. No waiting, no crashing, no viruses, no scanning, no breaking. Everything just works smoothly. I'm a very impatient person and the quickness of my notebook compared to any high end pc I've used is not a competition. If you want a cheaply built computer with cheap parts, go with a pc. If you want to be part of the elite, the ones whose computers are perfect, go with a Mac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I bought mine because I was sick of my pc's taking dumps on me. I've had to buy 2 different pc's in 3 years. One was an HP pavillion slimline which got infected by a virus and I had to clear the HDD and revert back to factory settings which ****** me off. Then after that the thing never ran right. Very slow, constantly having to update, scan, and I lost almost all space on my HDD due to the cookies, spam and adware. My second one was a gaming pc, called Dragon. It had all the bells and whistles. It was a homebuilt with the highest of everything. Well the motherboard fried on it because the fans took a dump on it. Didn't notice it until it was too late. Why did I switch to Mac? Because pc's are built cheap, their operating system is horrible, having to scan every week, having to update every other day, spam bogging down the processor etc. etc. Apple is the perfect computer. No waiting, no crashing, no viruses, no scanning, no breaking. Everything just works smoothly. I'm a very impatient person and the quickness of my notebook compared to any high end pc I've used is not a competition. If you want a cheaply built computer with cheap parts, go with a pc. If you want to be part of the elite, the ones whose computers are perfect, go with a Mac.

Sorry to say mate, but it just sounds like user error to me. Sure, fans crap out, but if you built the thing then you should also have known the nuances of it and should have known the fans took a plop. Also sounds like you bought cruddy fans.

PC's are NOT cheaply built unless you buy a cheap PC or parts. I must have built dozens of PC's back in the day, and not one of them ever just took a dump after the initial build and test. If one ever did, it was because of a defective processor or port on the MB. But you know these things right away.

Same thing goes for viruses, adware, spyware, malware and trojans. In all my years of running Windows, none of those things were EVER a problem for me. Why ? Because I usually practice safe computing. I know where not to go on the net, and what files not to open and what emails to just throw away. I also never needed anything but freeware such as AVG (at the most) and things like Spybot to root out any junk which Windows is susceptible to.

So try not to lay it on too thick with the whole "join the elite" club, because it's just pretty silly, to say the least.

Doug

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
What is the thing i can get in MacBook pro Laptop ?

Nothing special in terms of hardware.

It's about the operating system. If you're perfectly content with Windows, go with another vendor. Plain and simple.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Why did I switch to Mac? Because pc's are built cheap, their operating system is horrible, having to scan every week, having to update every other day, spam bogging down the processor etc. etc. Apple is the perfect computer. No waiting, no crashing, no viruses, no scanning, no breaking. Everything just works smoothly. I'm a very impatient person and the quickness of my notebook compared to any high end pc I've used is not a competition. If you want a cheaply built computer with cheap parts, go with a pc. If you want to be part of the elite, the ones whose computers are perfect, go with a Mac.

This is a very very interesting statement you have made above! I agree with you that I like & trust the "build quality" and reliability of Apple products.

But why then are you "Mr. Applecare Warranty" in this other thread:

http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/apple-notebooks/179755-where-do-you-buy-your-macs-2.html#post955762

...where you seem very "distrustful" of reliability.

I think that you're sending a "mixed message". On one hand (in this thread) you're praising the how great Apple computers are...but in the linked thread above you're saying don't trust the 12 month standard Apple warranty...get the 3 year extended Applecare!:Confused:

- Nick

Reaction score
I agree with the sentiment above that Mac OS X is about ease of use and comfortability and not about the "highest specs". That's why I use OS X and I am loving it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive
As one of many who have an employer issued PC (in my case a Dell, and yeah it's got all that crap the HP you mentioned HDMI port as well) as well as a Macbook Pro I'd say that it comes down to this:

I use a Dell because I have to use it (to put food on the table, gas in car etc.)

I own and use a Macbook pro because I like to use it.

I'm always cursing at the Dell and Windows but hey it mostly works, sort of, and I can get a job done with it after some pain, but hey at least I'm getting paid.

I love using my Macbook Pro because it's a pleasure, and I'm getting MY personal work done with it. I paid a lot of money for the privilege to, and except for the external monitor I have Apple everything. I paid quite a premium too. Gladly.

Sure the Dell has all kinds of stuff my Macbook doesn't, but the key thing it has is every time I open it I say "ugh, window...oh well work is work."

Reaction score
In my opinion being able to run Windows on a Mac through boot camp means that I'll likely never buy a PC again, as I can still play PC games or use other PC specific programs like FL Studio. This, all while still being able to use the Mac OS primarily.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.