possible overheating issues?

O

october

Looking through the manual for my powerbook it states to not put anything on the keyboard when you close it, but i've seen people recommend those screensaverz..so is it a good idea or what?

Another thing, I always thought it was safe to put a towel or cloth underneath your laptop on a table..again it stated not to. Are these just precautions or is it really going to overheat my powerbook?

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Here is what I do. Whenever I close my powerbook I place a piece of silk cloth between the keyboard and the screen.

As for the table, I don't place anything between it and the table. When it is on my lap, I place a marble tile between me and the laptop.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
keeping things like the piece of silk on your keyboard while your computer is on would be bad because it would retain heat in your PB, when you are closing it it should be no problem because the amount of heat created is almost 0

when using my pb on my lap i usually grab a textbook (or some other hard object) and place that between me and the PB...not necessarily for reasons of the pb overheating by sitting on my pants, but for me overheating while my laptop is on my lap

when the laptop is on a table i usually find some object to lift the end near the screen up so i get a little tilt on the KB and also more air can get under it

-chris

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" Flat Panel iMac -15" 1.5GHz, 80GB HDD, 128MB ATI video card, 1GB RAM- PowerBook
I use the ScreenSaverz when I close my PowerBook and haven't noticed any heat issues and I'm currently at 4days 11 hours and 22 minutes of uptime (since I installed Tiger).

When I'm using my 'Book, its either on a glass coffee table or on my desk.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.