2 different Questions (reinstall, iTunes)

Reaction score
First of all, i hear all these things about people reinstalling their OS, and how it makes their computer faster and better, and cleaner etc. My macbook isnt exactly slow (i don't think, i timed it 1:03 from hitting the on button, to having FF open and ready) but i get the impression that it could be faster?

How do i go about reinstalling, and how do i do it, so that i don't lose any of my data

Second question: When i listen to music on my itunes, if the song im listening to ends, while i am browsing a different artist, it doesnt keep on going to the next song, it just stop playing. Any suggestions to rememdy?

Cheers inadvance

:)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
What OS are you running ?? Tiger, Leopard or Snow Leopard... ?? A little more info :)

And how are you browsing through your iTunes library ?? Which folder

Cheers

OP
I
Reaction score
What OS are you running ?? Tiger, Leopard or Snow Leopard... ?? A little more info :)

And how are you browsing through your iTunes library ?? Which folder

Cheers

Sorry, i should have said all that, i made the thread at 4.30am before i went to bed :p.

Im running Snow Leopard, 10.6.2, on a unibody 13" macbook (the series before they all got renamed to macbook pros).

As for the itunes library:

30biofd.jpg

Taking the first picture as an example, im listening to ASIWYFA. If i leave iTunes like that, it will continue to play through the album, and then stop. Thats the way i want it to be.

However, is i stay listening to ASIWYFA, and want to browse the rest of my library, to maybe change songs. So i find my way to the Arctic Monkeys new album, keeping in mind that ASIWYFA is still playing. Then, the song ends, and instead of moving to the next song in the album, like it did if i was viewing ASIWYFA like in the firts pic, the song ends, and iTunes stops playing.

dyqc6o.jpg

Does that make sense?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Hey i know how you feel i mucked up a post other morning BC it was in AM and my brain was fried... :p

As for reinstalling the OS 1st things 1st i would highly suggest you back up all your files onto a external HD, for safety as nothing is guaranteed 100%, then with your SL install disk put it in and from memory it will be one click or two and 50 odd minutes later you will have installed of SL. Its as easy as that.

As for the iTunes dont take my word for it, and if im wrong there will be someone here to set us straight, but i believe that is default with iTunes, in that particular view.

For me i have mine set up as list with coverflow and have the albums header clicked which brings them all in order and doing what you have explained i dont seem to have that problem ...
20091204-f4qkngt92t92pj3brrn9j87cub.jpg

As such ^^ Its prob not the answer you looking for but as i said earlier someone will have a better idea :)

Cheers

OP
I
Reaction score
Hey i know how you feel i mucked up a post other morning BC it was in AM and my brain was fried... :p

As for reinstalling the OS 1st things 1st i would highly suggest you back up all your files onto a external HD, for safety as nothing is guaranteed 100%, then with your SL install disk put it in and from memory it will be one click or two and 50 odd minutes later you will have installed of SL. Its as easy as that.

Should i back up my files, seperate to time machine? Or will a time machine backup suffice?

I dont really understand the concept behind a reinstall though. When its finished, am i going to have to reinstall FF + all its addons, any games i have installed and all that? Probably a bit of a noob question, but i have never reinstalled an OS, and the only upgrade i have done (not including SL) was installing 10.5 on my old G5, and that was when 10.5 came out first, and that was back in late 07 iirc, so i cant exactly remember what it entailed.

As for the iTunes dont take my word for it, and if im wrong there will be someone here to set us straight, but i believe that is default with iTunes, in that particular view.

For me i have mine set up as list with coverflow and have the albums header clicked which brings them all in order and doing what you have explained i dont seem to have that problem ...
http://img.skitch.com/20091204-f4qkngt92t92pj3brrn9j87cub.jpg[IMG]
As such ^^ Its prob not the answer you looking for but as i said earlier someone will have a better idea :)

Cheers[/QUOTE]

I'll give that a go. Just means im gonna have to find artwork for all my stuff, as the default black pics will drive me nuts :p

Thanks for the help :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Should i back up my files, seperate to time machine? Or will a time machine backup suffice?

I dont really understand the concept behind a reinstall though. When its finished, am i going to have to reinstall FF + all its addons, any games i have installed and all that? Probably a bit of a noob question, but i have never reinstalled an OS, and the only upgrade i have done (not including SL) was installing 10.5 on my old G5, and that was when 10.5 came out first, and that was back in late 07 iirc, so i cant exactly remember what it entailed.
Yep time machine will suffice. Unless you want to make a bootable copy with something like SuperDuper, But thats another story :)
If all goes well with the install everything you have now will be as it was before the install. Preferences, apps ... Everything. And bc you are running SL now you want need to do any 3rd party updates..
You gotta love this OS
Before you do update, backup everything, run repair disk permissions then do your re-install. Once you start up again run repair disk permissions again and it will fix any niggle from the re-install

I'll give that a go. Just means im gonna have to find artwork for all my stuff, as the default black pics will drive me nuts :p

Thanks for the help :)

I know what you mean. I work hard to get my album artwork so it looks ... well as it should be there lol.... Hate the black too :)

Cheers and goodluck
Let us know how it all goes

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook Pro 2.53GHz; 4GB RAM; GeForce 9400M

Yep, tattooedmac is right. This is because what you're playing isn't in "view" anymore. iTunes in "browser" view, treats each genre, artist, or album as a certain playlist. Once you move away from that certain playlist, there's no "next" track so it just stops.

You'll have to use Coverflow view or just the basic list view without the browser enabled. Since in those particular views, the whole library is shown.

OP
I
Reaction score
left the reinstall do its thing while i was at work. Came home to find it sitting ready and waiting.

Haven't noticed any performance pick up as of yet, but i did save about a GB of space (not that i was short any in the first place :p )

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.