how do I partition my hdd

D

dasa01902

I'm trying to partition my hard drive, so I go into disk utility, then into partition, and I can see my hard drive, and I can see the volume info and all that stuff, but I'm not able to partition it. the partition button is greyed out, and I don't know how to get it to work.
Can someone help?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
You have to erase the whole drive to be able to partition it

OP
D

dasa01902

so, I reformat, and when during a clean os x install, I'll be able to do it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Start up your computer from a Mac OS X Install CD or an external hard disk with a System folder.
Open Disk Utility, located in Applications/Utilities. (If you start up from a Mac OS X Installer CD, choose Installer > Open Disk Utility.)
Select the disk that you want to partition in the left column .
Click Partition.
Choose the number of partitions from the Volume Scheme pop-up menu.
Click each partition and type a name for it, choose a format, and type a size (you can also drag the partitions to change the size).
Select the option to Install Mac OS 9 Drivers if you will use the partition as a Mac OS 9 startup disk. (You do not need Mac OS 9 drivers to use Classic.)

If you partition a removable hard disk, that disk is ejected when you eject any of its partitions.

OP
D

dstyrk

Great thread.. I have to partition mine in the morning to install some yellow dog and keep osx.. I figured that was how you would go about doing it. How many partitions should I make? I've got a 80GB HD.. I was thinking going with 3-4..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You are not going to be able to "keep OS X". When you partition it erases the entire drive.

OP
D

dstyrk

I understand that.. I will put it back on one of the partitions. And yellow dog on another. And keep maybe 1-2 more to store specific file types.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Actually there are tools that can repartition without erasing the current drive, but they cost $$$....

OP
D

dstyrk

Yeah I know... I'm not going to spend the money... I won't mind doing a clean install..

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.