New 27" Imac question

Reaction score
Would it be possible to just buy it with the lowest amount of memory, and then just putting in 16 gigs yourself? (trying to save money):[

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac C2D (Penryn) 2.8 GHz 4GB RAM
Sure it's possible!

If you have a source for 4x4Gb sticks for less than $1400 go for it!

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Would it be possible to just buy it with the lowest amount of memory, and then just putting in 16 gigs yourself? (trying to save money):[

Absolutely, when I get my iMac, that's what I intend to do. There is a small panel on the bottom of the display that can be removed and the memory slots are right there..

Sure it's possible!

If you have a source for 4x4Gb sticks for less than $1400 go for it!

You mean like this?? :)

Regards

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac C2D (Penryn) 2.8 GHz 4GB RAM
Nice!

However, for my use I think I'll stick to 8 GB for $120.

OP
S
Reaction score
ya, i know i really don't need more than 8 or 4 probably... but seriously it would be the perfect machine for me with 16 especially once i start getting into my music classes so i can learn more about theory and application so i will be using garage band a lot, and running other music programs n such (hopefully)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
| '09 24" iMac 3.06 8GB | '09 iPhone 3GS 32GB | '09 ATV 1.16TB | '07 23" ACD | '06 15" MBP |
Yeah, 16gb is overkill for even heavy users...

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
You probably would not see a lot of performance gains from anything over 6GB.

As true as that statement is, the amount of RAM you have is directly related to the applications you are running. So if you wanted to use Photoshop other other memory intensive applications on the Mac AND run a Virtual Machine with enough left over memory, something like 8GB or even 16GB would work out fine..

Remember, OS' will use whatever memory you throw at them and yes system performance doesn't increase with more RAM, but system responsiveness increases greatly..

Regards

OP
S
Reaction score
As true as that statement is, the amount of RAM you have is directly related to the applications you are running. So if you wanted to use Photoshop other other memory intensive applications on the Mac AND run a Virtual Machine with enough left over memory, something like 8GB or even 16GB would work out fine..

Remember, OS' will use whatever memory you throw at them and yes system performance doesn't increase with more RAM, but system responsiveness increases greatly..

Regards

Exactly and as I am planning on getting Photoshop & intend on working with garage band and other music programs simultaneously more is always better :) and as time goes on it will mean i will not have to update as much

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP 15inch I7 2.3/250 Intel SSD/8 gigs RAM

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.