selling, how to clean ibook g4 HD?

Reaction score
Hi All,
Even though I've been using my iBook for 4 years now, I still feel like a newb to macs. The Os's and hardware changes so fast that I was behind even when my laptop was brand new! Anyhow, I am finally upgrading to a MB and am selling the ibook to a friend for her kids to use mainly on the internet. So... I understand that once the new mb arrives the info from the old ibook should be migrated via time machine? Anyhow, after that process. I need to reset the ibook for my friend. So... what exactly should occur? How do I, without buying any new programs, clean out all of my info., and reset the account to factory settings? Will the computer still be set with me as the administrator? Will I need to get all of the upgrades after installing, if I still have them, the factory disks? I want to hand over the computer in "ready to run" mode to her, anything I should do? Thanks

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
After migrating all your data from the iBook to your new MacBook, boot the iBook with your original install media or whichever OS X is currently on it. Then select Utilities, Disk Utility from the top menu. From here you can erase the hard drive. After erasing the hard drive, install OS X and applications.

You should be good to go. Everything about you and your data will be gone.

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook Pro 2.53GHz; 4GB RAM; GeForce 9400M
After migrating all your data from the iBook to your new MacBook, boot the iBook with your original install media or whichever OS X is currently on it. Then select Utilities, Disk Utility from the top menu. From here you can erase the hard drive. After erasing the hard drive, install OS X and applications.

You should be good to go. Everything about you and your data will be gone.

Regards.

Just a few things to add. You can migrate your data by using "Setup/Migration Assistant" in the "Applications\Utilities" folder (Depends on what version of Mac OS X you have) and you'll need an external drive or lots of blank discs. Intensive information on the process is located here. The article applies to Tiger (10.4), but the application hasn't changed much.

After a reinstalling, since you're selling the machine to a friend, you should consider updating the machine for them. It's a small detail people sometimes forget and saves the buyer a considerable amount of time.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13" | MacBook Pro 13" | Mac Mini 2GHz C2D
when i sold my wife's macbook, i took the install disk and booted from it. i went into disk utility and clicked on erase. there was a button that said security options. there you can choose from several types of erases. the more times it overwrites, the harder it is to get prior information off of the HDD.

OP
B
Reaction score
Thank you for your great advice. It took a bit to find the discs, but they were in the original box. I will migrate the info. (will the new iLife and iPhotos still recognize the older info?) I may update the iBook for them but...I'm gun shy about updating a working, running machine. I know that when I update my PC, or other computer, that it often doesn't work and I need to go back to the old version. Also, I think many of the updates aren't for the older versions. But.. am never sure. BTW I ordered a MB with a 250gb, but they sent a mbp with 160gb (same price so I didn't notice on the confirm e-mail). I can't prove what I ordered since i didn't print the original confirm, but am sure I wouldn't make this error.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.