• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

I think I'd like to toy with Linux

D

dstyrk

I would like to check out and run Linux on my Mac. Can anyone recommend a free version? It seems like redhat is the way to go, but I can't seem to find a place to download from that works. All links are dead.

OP
K

Kokopelli

The free version of Redhat no longer exists. It has been replaced by Fedora. I would not recommend Fedora for the Mac though.

Try the Ubuntu live CD for PowerPC. If you like it grab the installation CD.

http://www.ubuntulinux.org/download/

Alternatively try Yellow Dog Linux

http://www.yellowdoglinux.com/

For more advanced users there are Gentoo and Debian. Since you are just starting out though I would not recommend either of these.

OP
M

meltbanana314

If you really want to toy around with Linux, grab a PPC Live-CD version of Kubuntu or Ubuntu and just play around.

If you want to explore more, then get a cheapie PC from a flea market or something and try to install one of the harder distributions of Linux on it (Slackware, Debian, or Gentoo.)

If you want to explore more after that, try one of the BSD variants (FreeBSD, OpenBSD, and NetBSD.) The BSDs are older, much more mature and developed than Linux is - which is partially why Mac OS X is based off of FreeBSD and not Linux.

OP
D

dstyrk

Well I've got the Yellow Dog downloading. I'll get to it in the morning.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
Nothing wrong with broadening one's horizons. I love to try out as many different platforms as I can. Even among Unix systems, there are interesting differences. Linux is interesting because so many things can be different between distros, installations, or even sessions. And I'd love to have more time with IRIX or Solaris, for example.

It's commendable to want to know what's out there. How many of you would never have gotten a Mac if you hadn't "toyed" with it first?

Good luck to dstyrk

OP
D

dstyrk

I don't really know a thing about computers. I've just recently got the itch to learn more and more about computers. I'm pretty sure I'm really going to mess something up in the morning while I partition my HD for the 1st time and try to put linux on one side and osx on the other.. But you know what, I've got nothing else to do tomorrow, so it should be quite a learning experience putting it all back together. lol.. But there is no better way to learn without money.

Hopefully tomorrow around lunch time I will make my first post here running Linux.

OP
M

meltbanana314

dstyrk said:
I'm pretty sure I'm really going to mess something up in the morning while I partition my HD for the 1st time and try to put linux on one side and osx on the other..

Have you ever heard of/tried a Live CD?

http://us.releases.ubuntu.com/releases/5.04/

Download the PowerPC live CD, burn it to a CD-R or RW. Put it in your Mac and restart your computer while holding down the 'C' button, and Ubuntu Linux will run directly off the CD while not even touching your hard drive. When you're done, just restart or shutdown computer and take the disc out of the drive. It's how I learned how to use Linux when I just started out.

OP
D

dstyrk

Fyi

Ok well I've got Yellow Dog downloaded and installed, but it doesn't seem to be working properly. I'll have to jump on one of their forums for some help I suppose. BUT I did get Ubuntu Live CD to work and I was pleased. Pretty nifty. Anyhow, I was hoping to be up and running on a Linux machine today, but I'm off to go fishing.. Maybe tonight I'll tinker with it some more..

OP
K

Kokopelli

Linux is a practice in patience. Less so now than 6 years ago, but it is still not an instant gratification kind of thing. The more you work with it the more you learn but you have to get over that initial hump first.

In other words, patience is a virtue. Take your time and don't get discouraged.

OP
D

dstyrk

I did it! Up and running with no major issues YET. I went with Ubuntu, and so far I like it. I just need to find my way around a little better. Hope some IRC channels are helpful.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.