Magic Mouse & Mac Pro

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 3.4GHz quad-core Intel Core i5 8Gb Ram 1TB Fusion HD + MBP
Figured I'd buy a Magic Mouse for my Mac Pro. Drove the 150 miles home from the Apple store with my much coveted Magic Mouse only to discover my Mac Pro has no Bluetooth capabilities. Yup, I've got four iMacs, one Mac Mini and a Mac Book Pro and the Magic Mouse will work on all of 'em but not my high-end Mac Pro :Confused:

Apple Care said I need an airport card, MA688Z/B. I checked the web, can get it for $49 but one site says it won't work on an '08 Mac Pro. And will that cover Bluetooth connections also? Or do I need something else? Can someone set me straight on this?

TIA

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I have a Mac Pro that also does not have Bluetooth capabilities built in. I decided rather than buying the card you mentioned I would go a different route. I purchased a USB Bluetooth dongle and most of the time it works fine. http://www.macmall.com/s?rch&q=usb%20bluetooth&n=macmsc-search&cn=Bluetooth&includeImage=true I was using the D-Link DBT-120 listed in this search. I only stopped using it in favor of a different brand because I rolled over and cracked the first one. I would probably look for the card now just for convenience.

OP
RezDuane
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
magic mouse

Thanks! Just ordered one from the site you sent.

I have a Mac Pro that also does not have Bluetooth capabilities built in. I decided rather than buying the card you mentioned I would go a different route. I purchased a USB Bluetooth dongle and most of the time it works fine. Search results at MacMall.com I was using the D-Link DBT-120 listed in this search. I only stopped using it in favor of a different brand because I rolled over and cracked the first one. I would probably look for the card now just for convenience.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
That should work well for you. Just don't roll over it and crush it like I did. :Oops: Actually, if truth be told, I think I crushed two of them.

OP
RezDuane
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Magic mouse

Well, I couldn't wait so I drove into town and picked one up at Best Buy. Got my Magic Mouse going and am a happy camper . . . :D

Oh, and I'd have to get down on the floor to roll over on it ;D

Thanks again!

That should work well for you. Just don't roll over it and crush it like I did. :Oops: Actually, if truth be told, I think I crushed two of them.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.