Powerbook G4 Mac OS X installable on an iBook G4?

J

jareha

Is it possible to install a PowerBook G4 version of Mac OS X Tiger on an iBook G4? My girlfriend just got a PowerBook with the Tiger install discs...and I've got an iBook.

I've pre-purchased a student copy of the OS but can't wait a month or so for it to be available. On that note, when are AMP copies of the OS released? If soon, I might be able to stem the "Tiger itch".

<< Jonathan

OP
M

meltbanana314

I'm pretty sure that won't work, since all the proper drivers for your iBook's hardware will be absent on the PowerBook restore disks.

OP
J

jareha

Thanks for the info. I wasn't aware that Apple creates hardware specific install disks. This having migrated from Windows last summer (the land of OEM restore disks) and never having upgraded my Mac OS.

<< Jonathan

OP
T

taxxman2k

jareha said:
Thanks for the info. I wasn't aware that Apple creates hardware specific install disks. This having migrated from Windows last summer (the land of OEM restore disks) and never having upgraded my Mac OS.

<< Jonathan

Just trade her computers :p

Did you convince her to go mac? If so WAY TO GO! now for the rest of the world!

OP
J

jareha

taxxman2k said:
Just trade her computers :p
She got the 12" PowerBook. Had she got the 15" we'd definitely trade.

taxxman2k said:
Did you convince her to go mac? If so WAY TO GO! now for the rest of the world!
I actually convinced her and her sister to go Mac. Their dad should be switching soon!

<< Jonathan

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.