Where do you buy your Macs from?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac. 15" MacBookPro. 13" MacBookPro. iPhone 3G
Where are fellow mac lovers get the best deals other than Apple retailers?

Are there significant benefits in buying from an official Mac Store or an authorized Retailer?

I've purchased from authorized retailers twice and an official apple store once, and have never noticed a difference, but I've also never had to have any service or work done.

I think I've seen double-page ads for a great authorized retailer website that had a few good deals, but can't remember what the site was :/

Appreciate suggestions!
Jen

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
Mac Warehouse are excellent if you are in the UK.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Where are fellow mac lovers get the best deals other than Apple retailers?

Are there significant benefits in buying from an official Mac Store or an authorized Retailer?

I'm guessing (based on your post above) that what you really mean to say is..."Where do you buy your new Mac's from?

If you include used Mac's in this question...then that open's up lots of extra possibilities!:)

- Nick

OP
I
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm guessing (based on your post above) that what you really mean to say is..."Where do you buy your new Mac's from?

If you include used Mac's in this question...then that open's up lots of extra possibilities!:)

- Nick

Yes Nick--New Macs and new accessories :)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes Nick--New Macs and new accessories :)

Older stuff is good too...and you save a lot of money!:)

Starting with Apple refurbished.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in MBP - 27in iMac - iPhone
I got both my MBP and iMac from BestBuy, mainly because they are 5mins from my house. Apple Store is almost an hour away, but i already knew what i wanted and didnt have questions. But if i wasnt sure about something, or had questions then i would have went to the apple store.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
Got my MBP from apple.com because I used an Apple gift card my wife gave me for our anniversary last yr. If I knew then what I know now, I definitely would have used that card on a refurbished instead and got more "bang" for my "buck".
Oh well, I certainly love what I have and don't completely regret the $1200 I dropped on it. *shrug* :Smirk:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15", 2.8Ghz, 4gb, 500gb
I would never buy a used or refurbished mac. I buy all my stuff from apple.com. I ALWAYS get applecare. To buy someone else's hand me downs or a broke one that was fixed is crazy. There is no warranty so if it breaks, your out the money put in. Sure, your saving in the short term but in the long run, its better to buy new.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook Pro 2.53GHz; 4GB RAM; GeForce 9400M
Buying it from the Apple Store usually means taxes are always added during purchase. I usually buy from Macmall. Depending on the state, they usually never add taxes. The price you see is the price you pay.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini late 09 version
I would never buy a used or refurbished mac. I buy all my stuff from apple.com. I ALWAYS get applecare. To buy someone else's hand me downs or a broke one that was fixed is crazy. There is no warranty so if it breaks, your out the money put in. Sure, your saving in the short term but in the long run, its better to buy new.

Are the refurbs always used or are some new older stock ?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook Pro 2.53GHz; 4GB RAM; GeForce 9400M
Are the refurbs always used or are some new older stock ?

Apple's refurbs and Apple Store fixes go with the "Whatever we have" policy. Apple just makes sure the unit works before re-selling them or giving it back to you. That being said, most of the units sold on the refurb site are slightly used (New defected units). The part they replace is whatever they have at the moment (used or new). I believe there was a TUAW.com post about this. I'm not 100% sure if this is true, but where I got this info from. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15 2.2 i7 4GB 750GB

Refurb has the same 1 year warranty as a new mac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2012 MBP i7 2.7 GHz 15" Matte - 16 GB RAM - 120 GB Intel SSD - 500 GB DataDoubler Mac OS 10.9
Only macs we own are from the apple certified refurb store.
Items are less expensive and look and work like new.(Most of the time, one macbook pro we bought has small dents near the trackpad area as if a small screwdriver fell on it tip first) but it isn't a big deal if I get some $$ of the regular price.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2009 MBP 15 Inch, iPhone 4, iPad 2
I only bought one mac thus far...a new macbook pro 15 inch. So far direct from the apple store online. I hear that refurbs are a great deal though!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15", 2.8Ghz, 4gb, 500gb
Refurb has the same 1 year warranty as a new mac.
Who wants a one year warranty? Applecare is 3 years. Not much ever goes wrong within a year of buying any product. Alot can go wrong in 3 years. Like I said, its a gamble but one can save money in the short term this way. I just feel alot better knowing my brand new off the factory floor MBP is covered for 3 years. To me, its worth the extra money.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15 2.2 i7 4GB 750GB
Who wants a one year warranty? Applecare is 3 years. Not much ever goes wrong within a year of buying any product. Alot can go wrong in 3 years. Like I said, its a gamble but one can save money in the short term this way. I just feel alot better knowing my brand new off the factory floor MBP is covered for 3 years. To me, its worth the extra money.

Refurbished macs can have the three year warranty.

Apple Certified Refurbished Products

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

So when does your need for "security" end? 12 months, 36 months...when? What happens if your Apple computer "craps out" in month 37 of ownership (1 month after the 3 year warranty expires)?

You also have to realize something else...the Applecare warranty primarily covers "manufacturing defects"...it does not cover anything such as:

- physical damage caused by the user
- spilled liquid on a laptop
- worn out laptop batteries
- electrical issues caused by bad weather

I'm going to suggest that most manufacturing defects will show up within the first 12 months...and if it's a common manufacturing defect...then many other folks will also have the same problem...and then Apple will come up with a special policy to handle this...like relatively recently with cracks in the housing of the plastic MacBooks.

There most definitely are folks out there that have benefitted from purchasing the 3 year extended Applecare warranty...but this number is very very low! The VAST majority of dollars spent on extended Applecare warranties have only gone into Apple's bank account (profit)!:(

If you're interested further...give this article a read:

Is AppleCare Worth The Price?

- Nick

OP
I
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks everyone!!! Great, GREAT insight and suggestions! I had never considered a refurb machine, but I can see the pros/cons clearly now!

So very helpful--perfect example of why this forum is my only go-to place for MacTalk! :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2005 G4 Mini & 2014 Mini & 2020 M1 Mini
I bought a refurb mini in Sept. So far no problems and it looked brand new. Some refurbs come with extra's. Bigger drive or more ram from previous owner.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.