Macbook Pro Gray screen

Reaction score
It happened last night. First, I install a software which might not be compatible with Snow Leopard. Then, when I launched the app for the first time, my laptop froze and couldn't even execute force quit command. I did a restart. After seeing the apple logo, the start-up ended in a blank gray screen. The list below shows the things I've tried:

1. Snow Leopard disc boot: same gray screen.
2. Launching another SL via firewire: either gray screen or blue screen.
3. Safe mode: worked at the first few times, and I tried to reboot immediately but seeing the same gray screen again. I backed up important files in safe mode and did repair permissions(fixed a lot of problems that are related to safari) and verify HD (no problem found), but it didn't help.
4. Single user mode: launched and ran /sbin/fsck -fy few times till it said "The volume (name_of_volume) appears to be OK." However, this didn't help either.
5. This might has been a stupid thing that I've tried after the safe mode didn't even work anymore :) I took the HD out and formatted using a windows PC (i don't have another mac) and hope I can a fresh install. However, when starting up, all I can see now are first the gray screen (without apple logo) and then the black screen.

I took it to the genius bar, and they couldn't figured out why and want me to pay $310 flat rate to fix it. I just want to see if there's anything else I could try before spending $310. The laptop is a 17" core2due 2.33G model. I really appreciate any help, and thank you guys in advance.

Sorry about any misspellings and grammatical errors.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.