End-User Memory Upgrade on 27" iMac?

Reaction score
Hi folks... I'm finally sold on getting a Mac, and I've picked out the 27" iMac.

What I'm wondering is this... is it possible for us "end-users" to get the thing open to do our own memory upgrade? I can't see spending $$$$$$$ to get memory for it when I can buy and install my own for about 1/8th the price.

The key is... can we get into the thing to do it? I know it has one of those seamless, one-piece cases, so I'm not even sure HOW to get into it. I don't have one yet; I still have to find the money to buy it. :)

Thanks!

Rob

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
What I'm wondering is this... is it possible for us "end-users" to get the thing open to do our own memory upgrade? I can't see spending $$$$$$$ to get memory for it when I can buy and install my own for about 1/8th the price.

The key is... can we get into the thing to do it? I know it has one of those seamless, one-piece cases, so I'm not even sure HOW to get into it. I don't have one yet; I still have to find the money to buy it. :)

Thanks!

Rob

Yes it is possible to do your own memory upgrade on an iMac...but it's probably more important to "find the money" to buy the iMac first...before worrying about memory upgrades!!!;)

Just my 2 cents,

- Nick

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Very easy to upgrade the memory on the iMac. Follow this link to see videos of the process. You just remove a small panel on the bottom of the iMac and the memory slots are readily available there..

Regards

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac C2D (Penryn) 2.8 GHz 4GB RAM
I can't see spending $$$$$$$ to get memory for it when I can buy and install my own for about 1/8th the price.

Rob,

Yes, it's very easy to access the memory slots through a cover on the bottom.

I don't know what memory you were pricing but I just did a check on Newegg, my favorite supplier, and found that adding 4 GB for a total of 8 was a little more than 1/2 not 1/8th the cost of ordering it with the iMac.

Enjoy!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
| '09 24" iMac 3.06 8GB | '09 iPhone 3GS 32GB | '09 ATV 1.16TB | '07 23" ACD | '06 15" MBP |
Rick, why would you use newegg for $750 when you can get it from OWC for 469?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac C2D (Penryn) 2.8 GHz 4GB RAM
Rick, why would you use newegg for $750 when you can get it from OWC for 469?

Check my OP, I was talking about 4GB total not 4gb sticks.

I have never seriously looked at 16GB since I wouldn't want to pay $750 or $469!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.