iTunes Music Store

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air, 1.4 GHz Intel Core i5, 4 GB 1600 MHz DDR3, Intel HD Graphics 5000 1536 MB
I'll get to the point quickly: I think it SUCKS! I bet you Yanks out there (and I am using the term endearingly of course) have all of the songs available ever since music was invented, but my UK edition makes me cringe. AC/DC? Who are they? Rushmore soundtrack? Rush-what? Bottle Rocket? 1970s music? Eh? It's like everything I type has never existed, the only files I can buy are very commercial-very recent ones. I can't believe this is supposedly the world's number 1 place for legally downloading music because as far as I am concerned it seriously LACKS.

*end of rant*

Thanks for reading.

Oh and by the way, they also don't have Billy Idol's Cyberpunk despite displaying the rest of his junk.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
We don't have AC/DC
We have 5 songs off the Rushmore soundtrack
We have Bottle Rockets

You can't blame Apple for this. This is solely the record labels and artists not wanting their music released in certain countries or in many cases at all. Apple would have no problems releasing everything if they could but many of the artists don't want it

OP
Stephanella
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air, 1.4 GHz Intel Core i5, 4 GB 1600 MHz DDR3, Intel HD Graphics 5000 1536 MB
That does not always apply Monkey. I am thinking about This Left Feels Right for example, which used to be available but which now isn't any longer, yet all the rest of Bon Jovi is on there, including the quadruple CD that came out last Christmas and is now on iTunes for only £ 7.90 when it still costs £ 40 at HMV. I read an article only last week that was pointing out how commercial British pop is favoured by iTunes while the choice in many other genres is limited. This implied that it isn't just a matter of what the artists want to release but also of what Apple wants to put up in different geographies and what they think will sell more and better. I have nothing against British pop, but I most certainly would like to get something a bit more interesting than bloody Coldplay from there.

D

Desolate One

Well I'd never go there to get anything on the Ninja Tune label if that's what you mean. You are right, it is for mainstream music. It's not all that bad. Pick up a random catchy tune every now and then w/o having all the other fluff you don't want.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 • iPhone 14 Pro • iPad Pro • iMac Retina 27"
It could be that the labels license the songs to iTunes for a limited time, which explains why songs are there and then not.

What gets me is this business of "partial album"-- there are a bunch of tracks I've looked for on iTunes, and while the "album" appears to be there, the track I want isn't there because only the "partial album" is up.

I can't really blame Apple for this, though-- I'm pretty sure it's the record labels who are holding back.

Frankly, a bunch of the stuff I listen to isn't there. iTunes asked me if I wanted to contribute one of my playlists to their site and I clicked "OK." They didn't like the playlist because only one out of the 15 tracks were available on iTunes.

E

embries

I'm a US user and the vast majority of what I listen to is not available on iTunes. I assume this has to do with licensing. Most record labels just plain won't give it up. They won't allow the tracks to be sold online regardless of who is doing the selling. This is due to the fact that by and large the record company executives have their heads in the sand. They still think they can determine what we listen to/buy by what's played on the radio. They think if they promote an album it'll sell. All that is slipping away and yet they don't see it. 3 more years and the record industry will be facing a change-or-die situation.

Reaction score
When the artist agree to have their music posted, iTunes certaintly posts it. That is why Dave Matthews Band, which is extremely popular in the US, was just posted last week (some at least).

For me, as a DJ, it is exactly what I need; edited versions of the most popular music, including 70's disco, 80's pop, and 90's hip/hop and rap. It's perfect. I own over 600 songs for the iTunes music store, purchased over a period of two years (pretty much since it opened).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro, 8-Core 2.8Ghz, 10GB RAM, 2x1TB HDDs, iPod U2 Edition
I love the iTunes store... of course I am one of those Yanks you referred to... *grin* However, I not found it to be as mass of a library as Apple markets it to be. But its like couple other ppl on here said... It is up to the record labels not Apple.

For some reason alot of those in the recording industry still have hurt feelings over the filesharing craze... and flat out refuse to put their music online in any form. My opinion is that you can't stop technology... so you better learn how to make a buck off of it... And that is EXACTLY what Apple has done. It's too bad some artists/labels still don't get it.

iTunes is great for me because I have a very broad taste in music (and alot less money thanks to iTunes). But I don't really dig to deep into any particular genre... So having a little bit of everything at a 'per song' rate is perfect for me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBA. 15" MBP. iPhone 4. 3G Pad 2.
Hey, at least you have an iTunes Music Store. :)
Australia, New Zealand and plenty of other countries are still waiting for one.
Never mind a real Apple Store which many don't have either.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.16GHz ^ATI Radeon X1600 256MB ^100GB @ 7200 rpm ^2GB RAM ^Glossy Screen +iPod 4G 20 gigs
Stephanella said:
something a bit more interesting than bloody Coldplay
how dare u diss coldplay :p

I

iMe

I have to be honest and just say that I never use itunes. I pay $50.00/yr for Bearshare.com. I not only save my money, but I get earlier releases on music. Alot of people will argue about the music quality that itunes offer, but I find the same quality of music at earlier times off Bearshare.
Dont tell my teachers but sometimes I buy audiobooks off itunes to listen to instead of reading them. But let that be our little secret. :p

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.