Imac early 2006 core duo graphics card problem;

Reaction score
hello everybody,
I would like to shed some light onto a problem that I bumped into yesterday with my Imac core duo early 2006, 2Gb ram, 128mb graphics card (ati redeon).
To start with I have a fully operational recording studio running on it with logic studio 9, pro-tools pre release (snow leopard compatible) plenty of plugins such as idrum, ezdrummer and a vast sound library.
I have a firewire audio interface plus an mbox2.
Basically I never incurred into any major problems on it since I've had it apart from somehow expected freezes due to "incompatibility" with digidesign audio driver which is now solved.
But yesterday i switched the imac off as I was fixing a wall socket and then turned it back on to be presented with the password screen just as if the screen had been locked after a period of inactivity.
After logging in providing the password I could only move the cursor along the screen but could not click on any icons or use the dock not the notification area. I was not getting any spinning wheel as to show activity going on in the background.
I then decided to force shut down the mac but i kept on getting the same screen and same problem and wasn't able to do anything. I then reset the mcu and the nvram and kept on getting the same problem until i popped the snow leopard installation dvd and carried out a DISK PERMISSION REPAIR. I received an error message concerning time machine file being modified but the process completed itself and the problem with graphics had gone.
Has anyone else experienced such a problem and what is it due to.
I would like to be more informed about it as it seemed as a serious problem and wouldn't want that to happen again as It might hinder my recording chain especially when I have clients lined up for recording.

Any advice is very much appreciated.

Thanks

and happy xmas holidays to all.

Mirco

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.