Internal HD formatting issue - input/output error on 10.4.11

Reaction score
Ok all you Mac geniuses...I need your expertise! Please this is driving me insane!

I'm savvy enough to have replaced the internal HD on my 17inch Powerbook G4 notebook twice. I bought a Seagate Ultra ATA-100, 160GB drive the first time and it worked for about 4 years or more. I just replaced it with the exact same drive, but brand new of course, and now I cannot format the drive to install the OSX. Whether I go to erase it or partition it, I get INPUT/OUTPUT ERROR.

I have tried everything I can think of as well as search forums for the issue and nothing has worked. Most forums people have the same issue with external drives, but I can't find answers for an internal drive. I tried booting from the install CD, I installed the OSX onto an external drive and then tried formatting from Disk Utility, I tried Target Mode from another laptop, I tried two other internal drives, I even replaced the hard drive ribbon that connects the drive to the logic board. NOTHING!

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. If you don't know but know someone who does...please forward. I need to get my laptop back in working order. Thanks for reading. I hope you all have some good ideas.

Cheers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2GHz Mac Mini 2GB RAM 160GB 10.6.2 | MDD DP 1.25GHz G4 1.5GB RAM 10.4.11 | 233MHz iMac G3 10.3.9
USB/FW enclosure for your Seagate or your Tiger OSX DVDs that came with it (using Disk Utility on 10.4) to erase/partition.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.