Windows

Reaction score
I need to get windows on my MAC so I can run some PC programs. I understand windows can be installed using boot camp but I have a few questions.

Do I install just a normal PC windows program? Which windows program should be used? Vista, XP or 7?

I found this on Amazon, is this a better option or don't bother?

Amazon.com: Microsoft Virtual PC for Mac 7.0 with Windows XP Professional: Software

How difficult is it to switch between windows and MAC OS modes?

BTW; I have a MBP with Snow Leopard if that makes any difference.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
I need to get windows on my MAC so I can run some PC programs. I understand windows can be installed using boot camp but I have a few questions.
Welcome to the Forums.

We have an entire sub-forum devoted for this topic.
Mac-Forums.com > Software > Windows, Classic, Linux, and Other OS

Some key threads you should read that would answer you questions and concerns are:

http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/wi...4239-running-windows-mac-switchers-guide.html

http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/wi...otcamp-save-yourself-possibly-hours-time.html

Reaction score
You have the information now for installing it so I will give you my opinion on using it.

I have XP (service pack 3) installed in a 50gig partition using bootcamp.

I bought my machine used so I didnt have to do a thing.

When I boot the machine I hold down the "Alt (option)" key until a couple icons come up. One is for OSX and the other is for XP.

I select the XP icon and BAM! The computer boots to XP.

If I dont hold the button down it just boots to OSX automatically.

XP runs fabulous under bootcamp! Not a glitch at all. Just the stupid reminders and glitches that you would normally see running XP on a PC which is why I only run it when I absolutely have to.

You should still get it setup with anti-spyware and such (at least I did) 'cause it is still windows with the security holes built-in. Maybe someone will correct me on that.

All in all, it works very nice.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro, 2.5 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo Processor, 2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM, not unibody
Actually if you want a Virtual Machine, like VirtualPC, you should try Sun's Virtualbox (virtualbox.org). It's free and works well. I use it with multiple VMs.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.