Cleaning MacBook aluminum fans

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac
I need to know what exactly I need to take off (I assume the whole bottom plate?) to clean the fans in my macbook with some compressed air. Tried a search, but couldn't find anything. I'll take directions for the new 13 inch MBP too, just anything to help. Quick confirmation would be cool so I can get this done tonight. Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 500GB hard drive 4GB ram PowerMac G5 Dual 2.2GHz Mirrored 500GB HDD, Mac Mini, and more
OP
DarkestRitual
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OP
DarkestRitual
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Once I popped the back off the MacBook, the fan was easily spotted for cleaning. I didn't remove it or anything, but i blew the dust out in a pretty horizontal way, so I believe most all of it was picked up either by that motion or the cross the bottom and out stream that I jetted in after the fact. My keyboard feels much cleaner, and the spacebar issue I had posted about previously has been resolved. I must have had a crumb or something stuck under there, but it's good now.

So if anyone's looking, you can do a fair job by doing that. My CPU temperatures are about 10C cooler right now.

Reaction score
I didn't even know where the fans were on my MBP! lol suggestions for maintenance for fans so it doesn't crap out like my powerbook would be appreciated!!! thanks

Reaction score
I have an older MBP 15" aluminum body.
There are 2 fans - left and right (under the ~ and the + keys)
I have to take the top panel off to get to the fans - its a PITA. But, if you ever get a DVD stuck in your "smart drive", you too will learn how its done. Other than that, I don't know how you can clean off the fans - there is no direct access.
BTW - Get the smcFanControl program. Don't use it to mess with fan speeds, use it to monitor fan operation. I had a dead fan for I Don't Know How Long, but I didn't know it until the 2nd fan died.

Reaction score
This is probably going to seem like a stupid question, but is it safe to use regular compressed (canned) air to clean underneath the keys on my new macbook pro 15?

Also, any recommendations on a good cleaner for the palm rest area and outer body of the macbook?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
See "Signature".
When you say "Aluminum Macbook", do you mean a Unibody or a 1st generation MBP?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.
Also, any recommendations on a good cleaner for the palm rest area and outer body of the macbook?

mr clean magic eraser for the palm rests

Reaction score
When you say "Aluminum Macbook", do you mean a Unibody or a 1st generation MBP?
Me?
I didn't say "Aluminum Macbook", I said "Aluminum body".
It's a 4 yo Macbook Pro, 15". Not sure if that makes a "Unibody" or 1st Gen.
I suppose it's 1st generation - there's lots of screws holding it together and it has the 32-bit Intel Core Duo CPU.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.