Bluetooth Gone from menu bar and System Preferences

Reaction score
I have a wierd problem. My bluetooth icon is gone from the top of the screen. I also no longer have a bluetooth icon in the system preferences, and I cannot connect or use my bluetooth headset. I tried to re-install bluetooth 1.5 from the apple site and it said my software was up to date.

I have no idea where to go with this, any ideas?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
If you get no joy, try these steps:

1. start with repair disk permissions in utilities.
2. Resetting your Mac's PRAM and NVRAM
3. If that fails, try going to user/Library/Caches and deleting com.apple.preferencepanes.cache and restart.
4. if none of the above work, I would try reinstalling the latest update that you are using, so if you are on 10.5.8 Mac OS X 10.5.8 Combo Update
and if 10.6.2 Mac OS X v10.6.2 Update (Combo)

I think in all that you will find success along the way :)

OP
D
Reaction score
Great,

Thanks for the quick feedback. I will give it a try tonight after work and see if either of these options work.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Lots of them
I hope I can help, at least with anyone else who may completely lose the bluetooth for no reason. I had the same problem, trackpad and keyboard didnt work, checked systems report, and no information was found under Bluetooth.
I called an apple support number, the guy had never heard of this happening but we corrected everything on the first try.
Try this; Apple Icon upper left screen/shut down.
Disconnect everything from the computer but the power
Once the computer is off, hold down SHIFT/CONTROL/OPTION and then press the power button. Hold all 4 keys for 5-6 seconds and release.
The computer should still be off at this point.
Cross you fingers and press the power button.
Once the computer powers up and you sign in, check to see if the bluetooth icon is now back in Systems Preferences.
It worked for me and all my devices were listed.

I hope this simple trick will work for all of you.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.