screen is getting bright then dark while in use

Reaction score
idk what is the cause of this but as i am using my macbook pro the screen is getting darker and brighter.... i keep my screen brightness around 8 and it goes all the way up and then all the way to 2 .. and this is happening whiles im using it

can any figure out the cause of this?

Thanks,
Candy

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Does it do this when you're actively using the computer (i.e. typing on the keyboard, moving your finger on the trackpad) or is the screen dimming when you haven't touched the computer for a few minutes?

OP
C
Reaction score
yes i am using it when this is happening....im typing and or using the trackpad as tht is happening..
i even put it at a brightness of 2 next few sec. its brighter
i put it as 2 and right now it went to 5 but it keep moving up n down

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Sounds like the ambient light sensor is just doing its thing.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
and how can i fix this? can i fix it? or should i just take it back to the apple store?
There is no "fixing" it, that is what it does... it's a feature of the Pro line of notebooks.
Its purpose is to conserve battery power.

If you want to disable it, follow these steps to turn the automatic display brightness feature on or off:
1. From the Apple menu, choose System Preferences.
2. From the View menu, choose Displays.
3. Click the "Automatically adjust brightness as ambient light changes" checkbox.

Alternatively, you can use F8, F9 and F10 to control it.

OP
C
Reaction score
omg! lol thanks...i thought i broke it or something! lol...was getting worried.. :)

Thank you so much!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive
This thread is timely because just today I was working in my office with the lights off and the windows open and my MBP kept switching on the backlit keyboard. Keyboard goes on, keyboard goes off. It was a partly cloudy and windy day, and with the lights off the ambient light kept changing from dark to light randomly as clouds obscured the sun! :)

Didn't notice the screen brightness change, but the sensor works well. If you want to see it in action 'intentionally' put your hand over the camera. You'll see the screen dim and the keyboard backlight come on. I think it's cool.

OP
C
Reaction score
lol its cool when u know what is going on...lol unlike myself it wasn't at the time

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.