install certain programs - get a message "Please insert the Dave disk to continue"

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I recently bought an old PowerBook G4 from a friend, who used it prior to me. It's my first mac, and while I'm very PC savvy, even the simplest problems on the mac can still baffle me. The biggest one I'm having is this:

When I try to install certain programs, at some point during the install I get a message "Please insert the Dave disk to continue" "You have chosen to install software that requires this disk." Dave being my friend / previous owner of the mac. Dave is almost entirely computer illiterate, probably never installed a program on the mac, and has no idea what this means either.

I have no way of continuing installations without inserting this phantom disk, and find myself aborting them altogether. Any help would be awesome,

Thanks,
-Teef

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
What programs are you trying to install?
Are the install discs clean and scratch free?
Can you install any programs?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Did your friend supply you with the system discs, if so boot from disc one, erase the drive and do a clean install of the operating system with your own user account and password.

OP
M
Reaction score
- The program I'm currently trying to install is a downloaded one, movie scheduling program called EP Scheduling (or Movie Magic scheduling), so no discs (or scratches) involved.

- I've installed a few other programs just fine (Firefox, for example)

- I don't have any of the system discs, though I suspect they're lying around my friend's house somewhere.

- One other thing I thought of is that the OS probably hasn't been updated in quite some time, could this possibly remedy the problem?

Appreciate it guys.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Get on to your friend and get those discs they are vitally important. Who knows what OS is running, but the best will probably be Tiger OS X.4 if you can get hold of a full retail install disc and NOT a silver grey system restore which are model specific.

Not much use trying to update if the OS is OS x.2 or X.3.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.