Getting rid of startup sound (Panther)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" 1.5ghz PB,1gb RAM,64mb ATI,80gb HD+PowerMac G4 867mhz,640mb RAM,60gb HD+AirPort xpress+15gb Ipod
Does anyone know if it's possible to get rid of that annoying sound you get in Mac OS X Panther every time you press the power button to switch on your mac. Is this sound unremovable and etched inside the ROM of all Mac OS X Macs or is it just simply finding a .wav file in a library somewhere and changing it?

It not that annoying, is just that it sounds like one of the chords in Bruce Springsteen's Philadelphia and everytime I start a Mac up, the song gets stuck inside my head! I quite like that song, but I would like to change this sound if I can because I'm bored of it now.

Maybe one of you already have Tiger and can tell me if the same sound comes on it when you start up. I'm not one to pay $129/£80 just to remove a start up sound. It would just be another reason to convince me to upgrade ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
meltbanana took care of it

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.