Questions about Path Finder

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook (Leopard)
I am new to Mac and did a little research and it seems to be rather hard to remove Finder from the Dock. Would it be possible to make a connection from Finder to Path Finder? This way I won't have to remove Finder from the Dock since it will open Path Finder.

However, if there is a way to remove Finder from the Dock that would be cool to know as well :)

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
I think you're stuck with separate icons. Sorry.
You've probably noticed that a secondary click on the Finder icon does not reveal a Remove from Dock option like most (all?) of the others have.

OP
N
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook (Leopard)
Yeah I was afraid of that. Not really a big deal, just kinda annoying to have an extra Icon I won't use. In any case thanks.

Reaction score
In Pathfinder, in the menus go to :- Pathfinder > Finder and enable the 'Remove Finder from Dock' option... Go to your dock, right click on the Finder icon and remove it. Done.

Worked for me... not that i use the Dock anyway.... Dragthing's the thing ;-)

You can demo Pathfinder for free - so download it and try it yourself.

Coops

OP
N
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook (Leopard)
Just what I was looking for. Thank you very much.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
You've probably noticed that a secondary click on the Finder icon does not reveal a Remove from Dock option like most (all?) of the others have.
But apparently Pathfinder enables that, eh? Whadya know! I'm a little surprised, actually. Hanging around here is very educational.

OP
N
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook (Leopard)
Testing Pathfinder and I am liking it. I enabled the "Remove Finder from Dock" feature and it did just that, however after I restarted the next day Finder is back in position. Does anyone know if this feature sticks or we need to do it each time? I wasn't able to find an extra setting for that.

Coming from Linux it has all the features I want. I am currently testing it so I haven't purchased it yet. I have noticed a slight lag when using it and comparing it to Finder. I assume it is because its doing more then Finder but could it be because I am using the Free version and it has certain callbacks to the site to verify that I have not purchased it yet?

Is anyone experiencing a lag when using Pathfinder?

Thanks!

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Can't say I've noticed a lag with it on my Mini. What Mac are you using?

Regards

OP
N
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook (Leopard)
Macbook. Even upped the ram to 4gb. The lag I notice is when starting it up the first time. Since it always asks if I want to purchase the product and I assumed it does a check to make sure I made the purchase or not. So maybe once I purchase it I won't see a difference :)

In any case thanks.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Ahh yes, OK if the lag is only on startup, then yes it's probably because it's verifying. I've got the licensed copy and don't see that lag..:)

Regards

OP
N
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook (Leopard)
After testing and doing some research I see Mac does things a little different when copy & pasting a folder when comparing to several Linux flavors I have used. I understand that this is not considered a bug and do see the logic behind copy/pasting a folder should do just that and not merge the two folders.

But... Is there no merge function available for Finder or even Pathfinder as far as I know. I see Pathfinder has a plug-in but its really weak as its a pop-up of sorts and that is not really merging folders the "easy" way. I know you can do this via command line but the reason I left Linux, is I wanted a stable OS outside the command line. :)

Any thoughts or advice on how to do this would be appreciated.

If anyone knows a method to merge using Finder that is cool too, actually wondering how everyone merges folders using Mac in general. Is everyone using the command line method or is there other methods I overlooked?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
NOTE: Merged similarly themed threads

But... Is there no merge function available for Finder or even Pathfinder as far as I know. I see Pathfinder has a plug-in but its really weak as its a pop-up of sorts and that is not really merging folders the "easy" way. I know you can do this via command line but the reason I left Linux, is I wanted a stable OS outside the command line. :)

Any thoughts or advice on how to do this would be appreciated.
Check out this thread that was created just this morning: http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/os-x-operating-system/179662-replacing-folders-osx-joke.html

Reaction score
The remove finder from dock seems to stick for me... i think. Not sure if i've completely rebooted since i removed it, though!

Hopefully Pathfinder will get a tree view and keyboard file/folder copy/move shortcuts sometime also....

Coops

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.